Call me crazy, but a cheddar cheesecake?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Banana Brain

Sous Chef
So I was watching The Secret Life of Cheesecake today, as I amb addicted to the Food Network, and I was watching all about the different types of cheesecake from all around the world. Outside of the US, every country pretty much has its own kind of cheesecake besides cream cheese. The French use their Neufchâtel, the Romans like Ricotta, the Greeks use Mascarpone, etceterra. And I had to wonder: why doesn't anyone use the best cheese in the world, sharp cheddar cheese? Or white cheddar? So I'm going to create a dessert cheesecake made of fine Tillamook cheddar or white cheddar cheeses. Or maybe something cheaper, because I havn't actually ever made a cheesecake and might screw it up. I'm determined to do this, and I'll try and keep you posted. Wish me luch and that it doesn't end up tasting like I spilled my candy and soda in my nacho cheese at the movies.

Go for it - but note that all the dessert cheesecakes are made with a mild tasting cheese that provides a palate for other flavors. Cheddar is a strong cheese, so it may be a little difficult.

Yes, I would think with cheddar, savoury cheesecake would be better, something in the vain of quiche, however considering the fact that a combination of very piquant aged pecorino and sweet fresh pear is so very delicious, maybe we will be in for a surprise for another winning sweet-savoury combination...

You and I are on the same wave-length, Licia.

We love cheddar cheese with apple pie. BB, if you want to make this a dessert cheesecake, you might consider using apple pie filling in some way...perhaps as a topping.
Of course your own homemade pie filling would be best, but a good brand of canned filling would also be good. When I use the canned stuff, I like to add a splash of lemon juice in addition to the spices. It seems to give the apples a fresher taste.

The main reason cheddar, colby, and similar cheeses aren't used is texture. If you look at the cheeses that were used on FN, they were all soft, creamy cheeses that blended well with other ingrediants. If you are really serious about making your cheesecake from good cheddar, first, I'd get something better than Tillamook. Second, I would bring a cup of milk or cream up to 170 degrees using a candy thermometer, and using a fine grater, grate another 2 cups of cheese directly into the hot millk or cream, stirring as the cheese is added, until a silky smooth cheese sauce is produced. I would then let that cool and use it, along with egg, , cornstarch, and diced fruit to make the custard for the cheesecake. I might still add cream cheese to add body. But do to the bite of the cheddar, I would omit the sour cream.

This can work, but you will have to think carefully about your technique, and the flavors you use. Good luck and keep us posted.

Also, think of cheeses such as Havarti and Gruyere as they also compliment the flavor of fruit.

Seeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Last edited:
urmaniac13 said:
Yes, I would think with cheddar, savoury cheesecake would be better, something in the vain of quiche, however considering the fact that a combination of very piquant aged pecorino and sweet fresh pear is so very delicious, maybe we will be in for a surprise for another winning sweet-savoury combination...
Apple pie? Wouldn't have thought of that.

Goodweed of the North said:
The main reason cheddar, colby, and similar cheeses aren't used is texture. If you look at the cheeses that were used on FN, they were all soft, creamy cheeses that blended well with other ingrediants. If you are really serious about making your cheesecake from good cheddar, first, I'd get something better than Tillamook. Second, I would bring a cup of milk or cream up to 170 degrees using a candy thermometer, and using a fine grater, grate another 2 cups of cheese directly into the hot millk or cream, stirring as the cheese is added, until a silky smooth cheese sauce is produced. I would then let that cool and use it, along with egg, , cornstarch, and diced fruit to make the custard for the cheesecake. I might still add cream cheese to add body. But do to the bite of the cheddar, I would omit the sour cream.

This can work, but you will have to think carefully about your technique, and the flavors you use. Good luck and keep us posted.

Also, think of cheeses such as Havarti and Gruyere as they also compliment the flavor of fruit.

Seeeeya; Goodweed of the North
Perhaps I could use... Velvetta? It would be creamy.

Interesting concept, Banana. Don't know how cheddar would fare with eggs in a cheesecake - but go for it.

As far as cheap, and if you've never made a cheesecake before, go to Kraft, is one suggestion. There are many no bake cheesecake recipes out there, many requiring only creamed cheese. My experience with cheesecake has always been with a creamy cheese - never cheddar. Let us know how it turns out.

Last edited:
I'm thinking of abandoning plan cheddar cheesecake. Since, ya know, I've never made a traditional cheesecake of any sort? If it turned out crappy, I wouldn't know if it was me or the cheese. And I'm known for screwing desserts up that I don't know. Just ask my first three keylime pies and first crem brulee. I still have yet to make them right.

Sounds like a good idea if you've not had that much experience. :) Why don't you try first to
-make a 'traditional cheesecake'
-make a quiche with cheddar cheese so you can see how cheddar melts and reacts to baking
-make a savory, appetizer cheesecake, to get an idea of some savory flavors that can be used.

Personally, I love anything with cheese in it, and for the best flavor, I use the best cheese, Tillamook. Sorry Goodweed of the North, but there just isn't a better cheese. All kidding aside, I'm hoping Banana Brain goes ahead with the plan. I'd love to hear how it turns out, and how it tastes. Is Velvetta even a cheese?

For a cheesey treat, try the Pillsbury Cheddar Grands, and gosh, made with real Tillamook Cheddar Cheese.

Gary Bankston said:
Personally, I love anything with cheese in it, and for the best flavor, I use the best cheese, Tillamook. Sorry Goodweed of the North, but there just isn't a better cheese. All kidding aside, I'm hoping Banana Brain goes ahead with the plan. I'd love to hear how it turns out, and how it tastes. Is Velvetta even a cheese?

For a cheesey treat, try the Pillsbury Cheddar Grands, and gosh, made with real Tillamook Cheddar Cheese.

If you ever get the chance to try Balderson Heritage Cheddar, aged 5 years, you will understand what I mean. Now I'm not saying that Tillamook is bad cheese, because it's pretty good stuff. But for my tastebuds, Balderson, and the aged cheddar from a small cheesemaker in Wisconsin, are the best I've personally tasted. (Balderson has taken number 1 in Canada for several years as the finest cheddar made in Canada. And I'm not one who is territorial. I've had good Vermont cheese, and I'm sure there are extraordinary cheddars with unique flavors (heard of one where the cheddar is covered in sweet hay to pick up some of the hay flavor as it ages, supposedly raising it above the competition), but my experience is limited by the selection available to me where I live. I can get both Balderson and Tillamook here, and can make the comparison. And largely, the best, is relative to the personal tastes of the taster.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

marmalady said:
Sounds like a good idea if you've not had that much experience. :) Why don't you try first to
-make a 'traditional cheesecake'
-make a quiche with cheddar cheese so you can see how cheddar melts and reacts to baking
-make a savory, appetizer cheesecake, to get an idea of some savory flavors that can be used.
Good idea. I HAVE made quiches with cheddar cheese before. I agree I need to make a traditional cheesecake (I think I'm going to try making a New York as soon as I get back from vacation) and a savory cheesecake. I wonder what a savory cheesecake tastes like.

Banana Brain said:
So I was watching The Secret Life of Cheesecake today, as I amb addicted to the Food Network, and I was watching all about the different types of cheesecake from all around the world. Outside of the US, every country pretty much has its own kind of cheesecake besides cream cheese. The French use their Neufchâtel, the Romans like Ricotta, the Greeks use Mascarpone, etceterra. And I had to wonder: why doesn't anyone use the best cheese in the world, sharp cheddar cheese? Or white cheddar? So I'm going to create a dessert cheesecake made of fine Tillamook cheddar or white cheddar cheeses. Or maybe something cheaper, because I havn't actually ever made a cheesecake and might screw it up. I'm determined to do this, and I'll try and keep you posted. Wish me luch and that it doesn't end up tasting like I spilled my candy and soda in my nacho cheese at the movies.

Give it a try BB.

Did a little research and found, YES you can use cheddar for a dessert cheesecake - not just as a savory appetizer. If you were seeking an appy (savory) cheesecake, my choice is a smoked salmon cheesecake. I've also made a ricottta/souffle like cheesecake with strawberries and Amaretto. But, back to the cheddar dessert cheesecake... here are a few I found & one includes Tillamook, that might give you some ideas to create your own.

http://www.tillamookcheese.com/Recipes/Detail/English_Pineapple_Cheddar_Cheesecake.aspx

If you do a search on Cheddar Cheesecake, there are lots of ideas for inspiration. Let us know what you come up with.

Here's an idea for a great tart. I haven't tried it but think it would be very good.

Combine 4 pkgs. cream cheese with 1/4 lb. of real of fake shredded crab. Mix in 1/4 cup clam juice and 3 eggs. Beat until creamy. blend in 1/2 cup heavy cream to the mixture.

Press Phylo dough into greased muffin tins and fill with the cheese/crab mixture. Bake for about 30 minutes at 350 degrees.

This is just off the top of my head so you might need to adjust the timing and/or temperature.

You could also substitute salmon or trout meat for the crab.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I have been reading this thread with interest...and from where I am sitting at my family's home in the West Country I can see the Cheddar Gorge!

They are very snooty about cheddar cheese here, and feel like Champagne it should have protected name status. We have literally hundreds of variations of the stuff, let alone the ones when you add stuff to the cheese. Sometimes at local dinner parties the cheese plate consists just of different types of cheddar, which is a bit much for me, especially when there are loads of other good local cheeses. I'll keep my ear to the ground for some cheddar cheese cake recipes, but if I do find any, I doubt I'll be doing test run for you...! LOL

Savory "cheesecake"--quiche? I make a smoked salmon cheesecake that has some Swiss cheese in it--not a lot.
Apple pie and cheddar cheese--very old classic "go together".

Ive heard of using cheddar and always wanted to do one myself and the thought of using white cheddar is a nice touch. How would you get it soft tho'? Just me being dumb again. I know! how about cheddar [SIZE=-1]CHEEZ WHIZ, haha [/SIZE]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom