Can anyone help me with a rum cake?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ksushka

Assistant Cook
Hello! Ok, as we know, fathers day is tomorrow. A couple weeks ago, I was having an early lunch with my grandfather, and we were discussing food. He told me that growing up in Paris, there was a bakery down the road from him that made these increadible rum cakes. he said they must have been baked in somethign similar to a cupcake dish but taller, and the rum syrup was just poured over the cake. Any ways, he told me that those little cakes were one of his favorite childhood memories, and he hasnt had them since. I want to try and make something like that for him for Father's day. ANy one have any ideas?

I was thinking maybe a basic yellow cake recipe for the cylinder cakes, and a butter rum sugar combo for the "soak". Any one have any idea what this cake is, and how i can make it?

Hi ksushka! Welcome to the site. I think I would go with a pound cake recipe (there are tons of those on the site. Just use the search function on the blue bar to find one) and then use pdswife's rum sauce from this recipe. Good luck to you, hope it works out.

Here's a recipe from a dear friend of mine. It's delicious.

Sara Wilkerson’s Bacardi Rum Cake

1 cup nuts; chopped
1 yellow cake mix; with pudding
1/3 cup canola oil
3 eggs
1/2 cup cold water
1/2 cup dark rum; 80 proof
glaze
1/4 cup cold water
1/2 lb Butter
1 cup Sugar
1/2 cup rum; 80 proof

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease and flour 10" tube or 12 cup bundt pan. Mix all cake ingredients together. Sprinkle nuts in bottom of pan and pour batter over the nuts. Bake 1 hour. Cool. Invert on serving pan. Prick top, and spoon and brush glaze evenly over sides and top. Allow cake to absorb glaze till used up.
GLAZE: melt 1/4 lb. butter in sauce pan. Stir in 1/4 cup water and 1 cup sugar. Boil 5 minutes. Stir in 1/2 cup dark 80 proof rum.

That sounds like baba au rhum - or rum baba as it was known in the UK when it was at the height of its popularity in the little bistros in the 60s and early 70s. It is still available as individual small cakes or a cut and come again size in lots of the pastry shops in Paris.

I looked for an American recipe with a photograph and here it is
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_24500,00.html

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom