Cheesecake questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fawn

Cook
1. Is it ok to sit the cheesecake in room temperature unbaked? ingredients include: egg, yogurt/sour cream, cream cheese, condensed milk

2. If a cheesecake bakes at 400º for the first 10min, then ask for lowering it to 300º for the rest of the baking time... should i just turn down the oven temp w/o opening to oven door. Or should i open the oven door to let some of the heat out so that the temp will read 300?

What's the reason of baking cheesecake at a high temp for the first few min of baking?

3. Is it ok to sub yogurt for cream cheese? I read that you need to put the yogurt in a cloth-lined strainer overnight to release excess moisture, Otherwise it'll be too wet?

A baked and cooled cheesecake should be refrigerated.

You can lower the temp without opening the door unless recipe instructions tell you otherwise. Cheesecake recipes don't often call for high/low temp baking.

Subbing yogurt can work but, since yogurt contains a lot more moisture than cream cheese, you have to drain it to get rid of some of the moisture.

How about an unbaked cheesecake batter? can they sit at room temp for about 1 hr?

i'm sorry, was suppose to ask is it ok to sub yogurt for sour cream....

The batter usually has gone through a whipping or high speed beating process to introduce air into the batter that will cause the cake to rise. Letting it sit for an hour, either in or out of the fridge, could effect the cake's rising in the oven.

Yoou did ask about yogurt and I answered in my previous post.

Andy M. said:
A baked and cooled cheesecake should be refrigerated.

You can lower the temp without opening the door unless recipe instructions tell you otherwise. Cheesecake recipes don't often call for high/low temp baking.

Subbing yogurt can work but, since yogurt contains a lot more moisture than cream cheese, you have to drain it to get rid of some of the moisture.

The technique I use calls for a high intitial temperature followed by a very low final temperature. This sets the form of the custard, causing it to adhere to the crust. The low temperature then keeps the crust and custard top from scorching. It also allows you to create a texture that has a firm skin and creamy inside.

Also, using the hot/warm technique elliminates the need for baking in a water bath.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I don't know any other reason for the initial high temp than to set all the delicate ingredients quickly. Gradually decreasing the oven temperature is important to keep it stable as it wants to shrink causing cracks and sinking. I start at 500 for 20, then 300 for 30, then 200 for 30 cracking the oven with the oven off until I can remove it with bare hands. My oven maybe a lil cooler than yours. Oh, and of course the water bath is a must.

Back
Top Bottom