Cocolate-Mayo/Red Velvet Fusion Cke

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I just created this recipe, but have not had the chance to make it. It combines the richness of both a chocolate-maonaise, and Red Velkvet cake. I hope someone tries it out, and lets me know the result. in a few weeks, I'll be able to give it a shot. Also, let me kow if the reciipe looks viable. It should be very tasty, with a great texture. Thanks.

Chief’s Fusion Red Velvet/Mayonnaise Cake.

The amazing Chocolate-Mayonnaise is a favorite whenever I make it. It has a great crumb, is moist, tender. And just plain good. With a proper frosting, it is one of the best hccolate cake recipes.the secret to the cake is mayonaise, and baking soda. The mayo has a bit of lemon juice in it, which reacts with both the chocolate, acidic cocoa powder, and baking soda to leaven the cake. Th baking soda also adds a nutty flavor, similar to walnuts, to the cake. So if youk now someone with a nut allergy, you can trat them to the flavor, without any nuts it the cake at all.

Red Velvet cake relies on the interaction of vinegar, cocoa powder, buttermilk, and baking soda to leaven the cake batter. Eggs give it structure, and help trap the co2 bubbles that are the result of the leavening action.

Originally, the interaction of the cocoa powder, baking soda, and vinegar created a light red tint to this cake. Most people like a brighter red color, and add red food coloring. In my fusion recipe, I will forego the food coloring.

Mayonnaise contains egg, oil, vinegar, lemon, and salt. It will replace egg and oil in this recipe to create a very moist, light, and tender cake, with outstanding flavor. I recommend a cream cheese frosting, with edible flowers placed on top for decoration.

Here’s the recipe, and instructions:

Dry Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 teaspoon cocoa powder
2 1/2 cups cake flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 ½ tsp. Baking powder
1 tsp. Baking soda

Blend together all dry ingredients.

Wet Ingredients:
1 cup Hellman;s, or Best Food Mayonnaise
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup water

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In the bowl of a mixer, cream together the mayonnaise, and and sugar. In a separate, sift the together the dry ingredients. Using an electric mixer, beat the dry and wet ingredients together. Mis in the water to form a smooth batter. Pour the batter into 2 greased, and floured 9-inch cake pans.

Bake for 30 minutes or until an inserted cake tester comes out clean. Let cool on a cooling rack. Invert the cakes from the pans.

Remove the dome from the cake tops, using a pastry brush to revove any crumbs. Frost the layers, and cover top and sides with chocolate glaze. Top with edible flowers.

Frosting, icing, aren't they the same thing? No. Icing is semi liquid, and is poured over the cake, while frosting is thick, and is spread onto the cake, and between the layers. Cokes are usually frosted before icings/glaze is applied.

Chocolate buttercream frosting
1 cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
3*and 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
• 1/2 cup unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
• 3 Tablespoons heavy cream
• 1/8 teaspoon* salt
• 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
Cream the butter and confectioner's sugar together. Beat with an electric mixer until smooth, and fluffy. Add the remaining ingredients and beat on medium speed until smooth and creamy. Add a touch more powdered sugar, or cream to obtain the desired consistency.

Chocolate Ganache Icing/Glaze
10 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
½ cup cream
1 ¾ cups unsalted butter
1/4 cup water
2 tbsp. powdered gelatin

Place the water into a small bowl. Add the gelatin, and set aside for at least 5 minutes.
Combine chocolate, and cream in a double boiler over medium/high heat. Stir until the chocolate and cream are blended. Remove from heat. Add the butter and gelatin the ganache and whisk together until blended.
Let the icing cool to 86’ F. Pour chocolate icing as smoothly as possible between cake layers, and over the top and sides of the cake. Any imperfections will show when the glaze is poured over the top. I've included a picture of a Red Velvet cake I made for a wedding, decorated withedible flowers.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Attachments

• DSCF0092.jpg
    DSCF0092.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 132
Back
Top Bottom