Coconut Lemon Cake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SizzlininIN

Master Chef
I just saw this recipe in one of my cookbooks.....Southern Living 1995 Annual Recipe.......its actually on the cover. I don't like coconut but it does look yummy. You all have been so kind to share recipes with me I wanted to share this because it really looks too good to eat.....its so pretty, white and fluffy. They have it sitting on top of a clear glass cake stand and garnished with greenery in the center topped with a small pile of fresh cranberries:

I just saw this recipe in one of my cookbooks.....Southern Living 1995 Annual Recipe.......its actually on the cover. I don't like coconut but it does look yummy so I thought I'd share the recipe. I might even make it for my Coconut loving family this holiday:

COCONUT-LEMON CAKE

1 cup unsalted butter, softened
2 cups sugar
4 large eggs, seperated
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tbsp. baking powder
1 cup milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/8 tsp. salt

Lemon Filling (see recipe below)

Fluffy White Frosting (see recipe below)

1 cup flaked coconut

Garnishes: fresh cranberries, seasonal greenery

*Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until fluffy; gradually add sugar, beating well. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating after each addition.

*Combine flour and baking powder; add to butter mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed until blended after each addition. Stir in vanilla.

*Beat egg whites and salt at high speed with mixer until stiff peaks form. Stir about one-third of egg white into batter, fold in remaining egg white. Spoon batter into three greased and floured 9 inch round cakepans.

*Bake at 350 degrees for 18 to 20 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes; remove from pans, and cool completely on wire racks.

*Spread Lemon Filling between layers. Spread Fluffy White Frosting on top and sides of cake. Sprinkle top and sides with coconut: garnish, if desired
Yield: 1 (3-layer) cake

LEMON FILLING

1 cup sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 cup boiling water
4 egg yolks, lightly beaten
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
2 tbsp. butter

*Combine sugar and cornstarch in a medium saucepan; stir in water. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until sugar and cornstarch dissolve (about 3 minutes). Gradually stir about one-fourth of hot mixture into yolks; add to remaining hot mixture, stirring constantly with a wire whisk. Stir in lemon juice.

*Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture is thickened. Remove from heat; stir in butter, and lt cool, stirring occasionally. Yield: 1 2/3 cups.

FLUFFY WHITE FROSTING

1 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups water
2 tbsp. light corn syrup
4 egg whites
1/4 tsp. cream of tartar

*Combine first 3 ingredients in a small heavy saucepan; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until clear. Cook, without stirring, unitl mixture reaches soft ball stage or candy thermometer registers 240 degrees.

*Beat egg whites and cream of tartar at high speed with an electric mixer until soft peaks form; slowly add syrup mixture, beating constantly. Beat until stiff peaks form and frosting is desired consistency. Yield: 7 cups.

I love coconut and lemon alot! Looks great to me. I don't know if I would make it.. I'll leave it to my aunt.. she always makes neat desserts.

coconut macaroons

if you love sweet coconut, this one's for you. these delectable little treats kept showing up at my dept.'s christmas party every year, but no one seemed to know who made them so i finally tracked down their creator, and begged and begged for months (ok, it was only 5 minutes but i'm not used to begging) to get the recipe. she finally obliged, so here it is...

joanne's coconut macaroons: makes 12 large (about golf ball size)

2 egg whites
1/3 cup sugar
2 tbsps. all purpose flour
1/4 tsp almond or vanilla extract
2 cups sweetened coconut
dash of salt
1/2 cup nestle toll house chips (both milk and white chocolate are good)

heat oven to 325 degrees.
grease and lightly flour a cookie sheet.
in a medium bowl, beat the egg whites until frothy. add sugar, flour, salt, and extract. blend well. stir in coconut. drop dough by tablespoon onto the cookie sheet about 2 inches apart.
bake at 325 for 12 to 17 minutes, or until set and lightly golden brown. remove immediately from cookie sheet to a cooling rack.
enjoy...

coconut macaroons

buckytom: do you fix all the meals and desserts at your house? Glad you are interested in cooking. Helps if both parties know how then person wouldn't have to fix everyt hing at Thanksgiving and clean up too. That is the case at our house. Only one sink they tell me. I don't think this is fair but have been doing it so long too late to change when someone is hungry.

hiya itk, i prepare most meals in our house, maybe 75 percent of what we cook. however, we order in and eat out a lot; we both love everything from home-style to gourmet restaurants, maybe a little too much. we need to start cooking at home more. dw will cook when i'm home to take care of the baby. she makes very simple and healthy stuff really well. i do the more complicated and not always healthy stuff. i've taught some basics of sauces and meats and things; she's definitely improved my diet.
i don't make too many desserts. in about 20 years, when i have time, i'd like to learn... :D

wheres the coconut in this recipe,i mean u just sprinkle it at the top at the end,so if u dont like coconut,dont! it wont be a coconut cake then....i'm confused :?

Back
Top Bottom