Cream Cheese icing Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alix

Everymom
Moderator Emeritus
OK, I made a 13x9 pan of carrot cake and the icing recipe calls for 8oz of cream cheese and 1lb of icing sugar. Um...that seems like a LOT of icing to me. Think I'd be OK with doing 4oz of cream cheese and a cup and a half (ish) of icing sugar?

Alix, SO's recipe calls for the same, 8 oz. of cream cheese and a Lb of confectioner's sugar along with 2 tsp vanilla and a half cup of butter.

That's enough for a two layer cake.

What? Are you concerned about having too much cream cheese frosting?

Thanks Dina. Thats what I ended up doing, sorry I didn't post sooner.

Andy, too much frosting would mean a big fat bum over here and I'd like to avoid that if possible!

fwiw...

I like to have extra cream cheese frosting around, because often when I've baked a cake, I still have cookies I've made that aren't quite gone. I use the frosting between cookies to make little sandwiches. (Really good with molasses or ginger snaps)

here's the recipe I use:

1 box powd. sugar
1 cube butter, soft
1 box cream cheese
½ tsp. vanilla
milk, as needed
Beat first 4 ingreds together. Add milk.

Does that mean that its ok to half the amt alix mentioned and can still frost a 2 layer cake?

I'd half the frosting recipe Alix and add more as needed to avoid leftovers.

No fawn, 1/2 the amount of icing only works for a one layer cake. I made a 9x13 pan and half the recipe was just right for that. A two layer cake would need the full recipe.

Have you ever tried almond extract in cream cheese frosting instead of vanilla? It is absolutely awesome!

Sorry it's sorta off subject but it's so yummy I had to share.

Back
Top Bottom