Cupcakes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pcheftina

Assistant Cook
A friend is getting married on Jan 3. It's a very small wedding (only 50 people) and she wants to do a cupcake tree instead of a cake. She wants to bake these herself and I've volunteered to help. Much of the pre-wedding stuff is completely done but we're not sure how far before the wedding we can bake and frost the cupcakes. Icing will be butter cream. Can we bake and frost on 12/31 or should we just do it the day before (but early in the day).

Also, we are in Florida and while it's not summer swelter, it is still warmer and more humid than most climates. Should they be refrigerated or just stored at room temperature??

Any help, suggestions, etc. will be gratefully appreciated.:rolleyes:

Perfect timing. Nick Malgieri's new book, "The Modern Baker" has cupcake recipes where the cakes aren't overly dry but really moist. One is a golden cake and the other is chocolate. Why not give these a test run? This book has recipes that he has honed that are simpler and cut corners and is all about technique. None of the flavor or quality suffers. I am really impressed with it.

I prefer to make chocolate desserts a day ahead and frost them the day off. If you can, bake them the day before and either frost them late that evening or early the morning of. I think that they will taste the best that way.

I think that since you are in Florida and cakes love to mold there when sitting out, I would definitely refrigerate but you can bring them back to room temperature during the service.

Congratulations to the bride and groom!

Others may suggest freezing but I really wouldn't want to do that for a wedding. It is not that large (50)--What you will make about 5 dozen? If you have two ovens it should go relatively quickly.

Back
Top Bottom