Cupcakes with a bump..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IsaCathrine

Assistant Cook
I´m not very good at baking, but I was asked by a friend to make cupcakes for her wedding this summer, and had to say yes - and I found out it was pretty fun!

But I got one problem, because my cupcakes get this bump in the top. Doesn´t look pretty and makes the icing hard!
What do I do wrong?

And I got a tip from my local store to just cut the top of the cupcake to make it flat, but that is hard when the cupcakes isn´t filling the hole cupcake case.

Last edited:
Huh? I wonder if they got too hot too quick or something? Will love to hear what others think.

Here is pictures of two cupcakes.
One with the bump, and one that I think is perfect, do you agree? (Or should it be even more flat?)

Attachments

• IMG_1210.jpg
    IMG_1210.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 272
  • IMG_1211.jpg
    IMG_1211.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 269
No baker, I, but am wondering if the liners need a tad more batter?

Just a thought. Cut off the bump, eat it and cover the cupcake with frosting! ;)

Oh, that's a bump :) The other one looks nice ;)

What is the recipe? I see that there is something inside the cupcake?

2,5 dl milk
1 egg
2/4 dl oil?
4,8 dl flour
3 teaspoons of baking powder
en pinch of salt
1,5 dl sugar

And I also added some chocolate chips.

No baker, I, but am wondering if the liners need a tad more batter?

:ermm:My english is not too good..
Should I add more cupcake mix to each cupcake case?

Just a thought. Cut off the bump, eat it and cover the cupcake with frosting! ;)

I did that, and it is really good:yum:

To me, it looks like the top of the cupcake sets before the bottom does and then the liquid bottom leaks to the top through a crack. Maybe put it on a lower shelf in the oven?

IsaCathrine said:
:ermm:My english is not too good..
Should I add more cupcake mix to each cupcake case?

Yes, that was what I was thinking.

It looks like you used small paper water cups on the first one. That paper is not meant to be baked and is thicker than cupcake paper. Therefore more heat is going into the paper cup than into the cake batter.

For a flat top, use only the paper cups meant for the cupcakes. Then fill the paper cups 2/3 full and flatten the batter in the center with a spoon. You will get a flat top cupcake. The batter should then bake to the top of the paper and the frosting should bring it above the paper. Easier to frost.

We have some pro bakers here. Am I right? This is what I do when I have to make cupcakes for an event. :angel:

Last edited:
Addie said:
It looks like you used small paper water cups on the first one. That paper is not meant to be baked and is thicker than cupcake paper. Therefore more heat is going into the paper cup than into the cake batter.

For a flat top, use only the paper cups meant for the cupcakes. Then fill the paper cups 2/3 full and flatten the batter in the center with a spoon. You will get a flat top cupcake. The batter should then bake to the top of the paper and the frosting should bring it above the paper. Easier to frost.

We have some pro bakers here. Am I right? This is what I do when I have to make cupcakes for an event. :angel:

Aha! Addie, I think you have it!

Thank you! Then I probably don´t fill it enough!
So the white once are not for baking, good to know!
I have the same problem when I use the normal paper cup..

Thank you! Then I probably don´t fill it enough!
So the white once are not for baking, good to know!
I have the same problem when I use the normal paper cup..

Definitely do not use the white paper cups. If you look at where they are folded along the sides, the heat has to get through three layer of thick folds of paper. On the papers meant for cupcakes, it is one layer of thin paper. And no, you are not filling your cups enough. Good luck. Let us know how you make out. :angel:

I'm not a baker either but I've had that happen to me many times! Mostly when I use cupcake mix or if my batter is too thin. My solution apart from a thicker batter is to make a dent in the middle of the batter with the back of a spoon before putting it in the oven. This might be a cheat since it just counter acts the bump but it works for me!

So no white cups! It makes sense that they are thicker, but since I found them in the cupcake shelf and I have seen others using them I didn´t´think that it would be a problem! Thats why I love forums!

And make the batter thiner. In Norway, when we make muffins (so you use that name too? What the difference between a cupcake and a muffin?) the batter is really thin! You can just poor it into the cups! So for me it is weird to have thick batter for cupcakes! But i will definitely trie that next time!

Seems like I have to bake new cupcakes soon!

Back
Top Bottom