Dessert virgin!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fish

Assistant Cook
Shameful??
I have never in my life made a dessert so i would love for anyone to send me their favourite easy to make dessert recipe... pref chocolate bt any recipe is appreciated

(I really need to start making desserts, most ppl i know have a HUGE sweet tooth!)

Thanks guys hope to have something soon...

Fish :blush:

Chocolate mousse would be one to try and there are tons of recipes for it.
Google using these terms and choose one that appeals to you.
"easy chocolate mousse"

When I actually get stuck with desert, I make a boozy trifle. You need a clear bowl with mostly straight sides. You need a pound cake or an angel food cake. From there you can go to any theme you like. Buy one bottle of liquere and work it around that. Start layering fruit, booze, and pudding and/or whipped cream or topping. If you have guests with food issues, as I did a few times, I used bags of frozen berries (one each raspberries, blueberries, blackberries), non-dairy frozen topping, and blackberry brandy. But in fact, I've used many other combinations. Apple pie type filling, brandy, nuts, whipped cream. Your imagination is your limit. One time a friend brought what was supposed to be a pumpkin chiffon pie. It failed and she was in tears. She'd brought whipped cream to top it, and I had some candied nuts and wine glasses. Same concept as trifle, just individual, and call it parfait. We scooped and layered her "pie" with the other stuff, and the rest of our guests thought it was marvelous.

tee hee...thanks claire that sounds cool, i do love the odd boozy sesh so with wateva is left over i will probably work on that...not that i have tons of booze laying around but ppl leave it at mine after parties ;)

take care...im going to let you know how mine goes!

I'm a baking amateur myself, and so far all I've tried are two chocolate recipes.

I personally preferred the first recipe I tried, because the cupcakes came out really moist. But the other recipe has a nice gourmet flavor to it, so maybe go with that if you're looking to impress! Both recipes were pretty easy for me, but beware the chocolate-melting process in the first one...it gets lumpy if you aren't careful.

Best of luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Shameful??
I have never in my life made a dessert so i would love for anyone to send me their favourite easy to make dessert recipe... pref chocolate bt any recipe is appreciated

(I really need to start making desserts, most ppl i know have a HUGE sweet tooth!)

Thanks guys hope to have something soon...

Don't be ashamed of this, Fish....I'm sure your waistline reflects your infrequent desserts. As for me....my husband sometimes wishes I wasn't so good at it, but never complains about the results. :LOL:

I say start with something super simple like a dessert bar. How about some good ol' fashioned lemon squares? Always a crowd pleaser. :)

Poached pears are easy and great for guests.
You can play with different wines and poaching liquids.
You can also core them first and play with different stuffings.

I like a sweet red wine or port and stuffed with a gorganzola and riccota mix or some vanilla ice cream.

Harder variety pears work best or they can get mushy.

I sometimes roll them in chopped nuts but you could vary that too.

This is a fool-proof recipe for chocolate cake with peanut butter icing that ANYONE can make.
Dry Ingredients:
2 Cups of All-Purpose Flour
1 Cup of Sugar
2 teaspoons of baking soda
1/2 cup of unsweetened Cocoa Powder
Wet Ingredients:
1 Cup of Mayonnaise
1 cup of water
1 teaspoon of vanilla

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Grease and flour a 9 x 13 glass baking dish. Set aside.
In a large bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients. Make a well in the center and add all of the wet ingredients. Mix well with a wire whisk until the batter is smooth.
Pour in the prepared baking dish. Bake 25 to 30 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool completely before frosting.

For the frosting:
1/2 cup of butter, room temperature
1 cup of Creamy Peanut Butter
2 cups of Confectioners Sugar
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
5 tablespoons of heavy cream (if you don't have heavy cream you can substitute milk)

In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and peanut butter until smooth. Add the vanilla. Gradually add the powdered sugar. Add the cream, one tablespoon at a time until it reaches the desired consistency. Beat at least 3 minutes until it is light and fluffy!

Here is a picture of cupcakes that I made a while back using this recipe

Attachments

• Chocolate-Mayonnaise-Cake-with-Whipped-Peanut-Butter-Frosting.jpg
    Chocolate-Mayonnaise-Cake-with-Whipped-Peanut-Butter-Frosting.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 226
This is a fool-proof recipe for chocolate cake with peanut butter icing that ANYONE can make.

That sounds really yummy. I've been looking for a good peanut butter frosting recipe... this might be the one I try.

I'd love to hear how you like it. If you choose to make cupcakes, they won't take as long to bake...maybe only 18 to 20 minutes. I can't remember exactly how long I baked those.

Bananas Foster. Simple, easy and great over ice cream. You don't have to light the brandy either. Irish Coffee is also a great dessert.;)

Craig

I HATE making desserts, LOL. You are right that lots of folks have a sweet tooth, however. My favorite dinner party dessert dodge is to serve fresh fruit and cheese with liqueurs as dessert, then move to another area and put out bought chocolate with a lovely coffee.

I do enjoy making sweets like baklava, fudge, fried apple pies, cream puffs, pecan balls and the like. To me they aren't desserts, but late afternoon treats. When need be, I make a tray of these as dessert, with no complaints.

Ice cream, with some fun twist, works. Take a glass per person and layer the ice cream with sauces, fruit, liqueurs, nuts, and cake or cookie bits - stash in the freezer and top with whipped cream at serving time.

Here is an easy one to start with:

Wax Cookies

Boil 1/2 cup sugar and 1/2 cup light Karo syrup.
Add 1-1/2 cup peanut butter and stir well.
Stir in 3 cups Kellog's Special K.
Press into 8x8x2' pan.

Topping:
Melt 1/4 bar parifin wax and 6 oz. real chocolate chips.
Spread over first mixture and cool slightly. Cut while still warm.

Very easy, and good. :)

You could make the trifle a chocolate trifle, with chocolate sponge, Chocolate custard and cream on top, really easy and tasty.

I do enjoy making sweets like baklava, fried apple pies,
My wife makes the baklava its one of the reasons I married her, its also one of the reasons I have been on a diet for the last 4 weeks. What is a fried apple pie also Pecan Bolas:)

A fried apple pie is a traditional Southern (American) treat, made with dried apples. Stew the apples, with a little sugar and some spice if you like. Let cool. Make a lard based pie crust and roll slightly thicker than you would for a baked pie. Cut into 6 inch rounds, spoon a couple of tablespoons of cooled filling onto the crust, then fold in half, so you have a half moon shape. Seal the edges, then fry in a generous amount of oil until both sides are brown and crisp. You can sprinkle with sugar or glaze them while they are hot. Let cool a minute or two, then bite into heaven!

Pecan balls are also claimed as a Southern specialty, but actually a little more ubiquitous. In fact a very similar cookie is sold as a "Mexican Wedding Cookie". Whir pecans in a food processor until finely minced - you want the smallest pieces you can get without making them oily. In a large bowl beat 1 C butter (no substitutes, please) until light and fluffy. When you have a cup of pecan bits mix them with 3/4 C Confectioner's sugar (the kind with cornstarch) and 2 C of AP flour, then beat into the butter. Mix in 1 teaspoon vanilla and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Form the dough into marble sized balls, place on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake 20 minutes at 325F. You want just the faintest browning around the base of the cookie. Immediately remove from the pan and roll in more confectioners sugar. Place on a rack to cool. When cool, roll in sugar again, then store tightly covered. The quality of the nuts is crucial to a good cookie. They last as long as you can keep them. This recipe makes about 60 bite sized cookies.

Strawberries layered with sour cream (or, Greek yogurt), sprinkled with brown sugar, more strawberries, more sour cream, topped with brown sugar. My "I hate to cook" mother used to make this. She'd serve it in sherbert glasses (the ones that are deeper than the round champagne glasses).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom