Dry, fallen cakes... please help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragonfall1221

Assistant Cook
Hi! Newbie here with a baking problem that's driving me crazy!

I've tried baking cakes from scratch, but they always come out dry with concave tops. Store brought prepackaged mixes aren't as dry, but they still fall once they're out of the oven. A few times, they don't even rise.

My last attempt at baking was a chocolate cake. Here's the receipe:

2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup butter
1 3/4 cups sugar
2 eggs
3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
1 teaspoon vanilla.

I substituted 3 1/2 ounces nutella for the chocolate, since I like the flavor better and used exact measures of the other ingredients. THe receipe also called for 1 1/4 cups water added alternately with dry mixture to the butter, eggs, and sugar.
The receipe called for the cakes (two 9 inchers) to cook at 350 for 30-35 minutes. I checked the cakes at the given time and they had risen, but the toothpick came out gooey for both. Left cakes in and checked them every ten minutes until the toothpick came out clean. At the second check, both had fallen. :( The flavor of both cakes is good, but they are very crumbly and dry.
Anyone have any tips? I've tried some things, like turning the oven up 25 degrees, but I get the same result.

Any help would be great! Thanks,
dragonfall1221

Last edited:
2 things come to mind.
1) if it's falling in on it's self, sounds like you are banging things around, or perhaps opening the oven door while it's baking. Years ago my mother would announce when she way making a cake to prevent us from stomping around the house so the cake wouldn't fall.
2) if it's dry, try cooking alittle less, or lowering the temp a bit. Test your oven for proper calabration.

Make sure your oven temperature is accurate.

The Nutella sub may be to blame, as the chocolate may be needed for its acid to activate the baking soda, but that's just a guess.

I'd suggest choosing another recipe and making no subs at all and seeing if that works better. That said, you might want to try cake flour, as it will give you a finer crumb.

:) Do you live at a high elevation ? Sounds like that may be the problem. What is your altitude?

I'm at 1455 feet (443 meters) which I'm guessint is average elevation (on the atlas it's in the yellow category)
Thanks for replying!!!

2 things come to mind.
1) if it's falling in on it's self, sounds like you are banging things around, or perhaps opening the oven door while it's baking. Years ago my mother would announce when she way making a cake to prevent us from stomping around the house so the cake wouldn't fall.
2) if it's dry, try cooking alittle less, or lowering the temp a bit. Test your oven for proper calabration.

I only opened the over door at the time it was supposed to be done. I use the oven light to check any other time. I did was dishes while the cakes were in, but I sat them in the rack, so no cabinets slamming, but I will take that into consideration the next time I try. Cooking the cakes less than the assigned times leaves the middle undone 9 times out of ten. :(

Thanks for replying!!!!!

Make sure your oven temperature is accurate.

The Nutella sub may be to blame, as the chocolate may be needed for its acid to activate the baking soda, but that's just a guess.

I'd suggest choosing another recipe and making no subs at all and seeing if that works better. That said, you might want to try cake flour, as it will give you a finer crumb.

I've tried the recipe before with unsweetened bakers chocolate, but it still came out dry, though it managed not to fall. Maybe it's the quality of the chocolate I used?
Will buy cake flour before my next try and post the results.

Thanks for trying to help!

I think you need to go out and get an oven thermometer, as others have suggested. Sounds like your thermostat may be unstable. Is your baking soda/powder absolutely fresh? Jenny is right - follow the recipe exactly. Nutella is yummy, but is not the same consistency as baking chocolate. Stick with us - the fine people here will figure it out for you and you will eventually bake a perfect cake!

Back
Top Bottom