Easy Basic Simple Vegan Chocolate Cake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

froggythefrog

Senior Cook
This recipe, also widely known as "wacky cake" originates from WWII USA, when food commodities such as eggs were being used to feed the troops. The result is an eggless chocolate cake that is the fastest and easiest chocolate cake you will ever bake.
A lot of people wonder why the vinegar is in this recipe and if it affects the taste and if baking powder wouldn't be better than baking soda. The vinegar reacts with the baking soda and allows the cake to rise despite the absence of the eggs. The vinegar and baking soda should react completely enough in this recipe that you should not have an aftertaste from it when eating this cake. I have found this cake to be a dead-ringer for your typical Duncan-Hine's variety chocolate cake.

Ingredients:

Dry:
3 cups flour
2 cups sugar
9 tablespoons cocoa
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt

Wet:
3/4 cup canola oil
2 tablespoons vinegar (white or apple cider. I've heard you can use a raspberry balsamic to impart a nice raspberry flavor to the case. Note that typically, the vinegar won't flavor the cake.)
2 teaspoon vanilla
2 cup cold water

Instructions:
Mix the dry ingredients thoroughly.
Add all the wet ingredients, then stir until smooth.
Use one small sheet pan for a sheet cake or two 9-inch round pans for a layer cake.
If using metal baking pans, pre-spray the pans with canola oil and dust lightly with flour. Shake off excess flour.
Bake at 350F for 30 minutes.
Wait until cake is completely cooled to frost it. (Frosting a warm cake tears it apart!)

I am looking for a recipe called easy as pie chocolate cake but cannot find it ???? please help

Thank you -froggythefrog Very good!

Last edited by a moderator:
Buon Giorno,

Sounds quite interesting ... I am veered towards Mediterranean historical and classic traditional recipes as you can see from my threads.

Your yeastless chocolate WWII is a future try. I shall let you know how it turns out.

Happy July 4th,
Ciao, Margi.

I make a vegan choc cake pretty much with the same ingredients and it's so moist and yummy! I'm not a vegan, one of my close girlfriends is, but once I made this, I've not gone back to any type of choc cake but this one!

Margi Cintrano said:
Buon Giorno,

Sounds quite interesting ... I am veered towards Mediterranean historical and classic traditional recipes as you can see from my threads.

Your yeastless chocolate WWII is a future try. I shall let you know how it turns out.

Happy July 4th,
Ciao, Margi.

If you want mediterranean recipes then iv got a ton. I'm 100% Lebanese and so know all of the traditional recipes of my country. So just email me n I'll send u some. Though exact measurements are never traditional lol it's all by hand

Waldo: Love Meze

Buon Giorno, Good Morning.

Thank you ... I am a great admirer of fine Lebanese cuisine ...

The Vet ( my husband ) and I enjoy going for Lebanese epicurism at a restaurant which recently closed, as François retired. He is Lebanese French ... He was born in Beirut and emigrated when the Civil War started back in the 1950s. He, an Expat, and his family are now in Spain. His restaurant was phenomenal ...

Appreciate your offer to post a few recipes too ...

Let me put this into the Think Tank, and see what I can ask you ...

Have lovely August.
Ciao,
Margi.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom