Flour......self-rising cake flour vs cake flour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

runninduo

Senior Cook
Hi......

I just received Nigella Lawson's How to Be a Domestic Goddess. I was looking through the recipes and am a bit confused about something......

She refers to various types of flour. I'm familiar with them all except for "self-rising cake flour". Is this the same as "cake flour". I'm asking b/c she uses both terms......though in most of hte recipes, she lists self-rising cake flour.

I only saw "cake flour" once, though I didn't look at every recipe. Could it have been an oversight in that one recipe? Or, is there a difference b/t self-rising cake flour and regular cake flour.

I know she's not referring to self-rising flour (the general kind) b/c she uses that term in other places.

Thanks.

Self rising cake flour is cake flour with the addition of baking powder and salt. Self rising flour (all purpose) also contains those added ingredients. Regular cake flour and regular all-purpose flour do not contain those additions.

thanks merstarr.........

i don't even buy self-rising flour anymore.......i just add the requisite amts of bkg powder and salt (1.5 tsp of powder and .5 tsp of salt per cup of flour). Are the amts the same as it pertains to cake flour?

Thanks!!!!!

Laurie

I would add the baking powder and not the salt unless the recipe calls for salt in the ingredients. In OZ where "Self Raising" flour is widely used, we use 2 tsp Baking Powder per cup of "plain" flour when not using SR flour. Occasionally a recipe calls for specific amounts of Baking Powder and "Baking Soda" (Bicarbonate of soda), in which case follow the recipe.

Thanks, Wayne.

I make beer bread (self-rising flour, sugar, and beer). I had, until recently, purchased self-rising flour. Then, I was making it for company and i realized I didn't have enough S-R Flour. My son was napping so I couldn't go out to get more. I hopped on the internet and found the bkg powder and salt amts to add to AP Flour.........the results were exactly the same. I've also used this combo for another recipe, though I'm blanking on which one.........a cake I believe.

Well, at least I know I can add the bkg powder to the cake flour to get "self-rising" cake flour. I keep all my dry ingredients in large plastic containers. It's great to know about the substitions for self-rising flour...b/c then I only have to keep bread flour, cake flour and AP flour on hand.

Thanks again!

Laurie

This may surprise you but I make all my cakes and bread with unbleached Plain (all purpose) flour that I purchase from my local Aldi store. I think they are pretty well world wide now. It is the cheapest flour around here. I do not worry about 3-4 different types of flour but I always keep some self raising on hand in case my wife gets adventurous and decides to take over MY kitchen. He! He!

Thanks, Wayne.

I did find on one website that to make cake flour self-rising, you add 1.25 tsp of bkg powder and a pinch of salt.

Have a good day!

You may well be right about the 1 1/2 tsp baking powder. I have had numerous discussions about this on another forum. It appears that the baking powder I use in Australia is a different composition to the US version. Ours is clearly marked 2 tsp per cup of flour.
As well some are designed to activate on heat, some on liquid contact and I believe their is one that has a bit of both. I don't know what mine is I just chuck it in, bake and eat.:roll:
The ingredients in mine are 36% Phosphate Aerator, Sodium Bicarbonate and some rice flour, possibly to keep it loose.
I would be inclined to check instructions on the BP packet or I am sure one of our members living closer to you will have an answer. Failing all that either use the 1 1/2 tsp or give my 2 tsp a go and see which result is best.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom