Freezing Cakes with buttercream frosting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Friedas

Assistant Cook
Can you freeze a strawberry cake that has buttercream frosting?

Thanks
Frieda
Kentucky:)

Hi Frieda, and welcome to DC.

You can freeze buttercream frosting quite well. What I do with my wedding cakes (specially the top layers the brides want to keep) is to put it in the freezer as is (carefully so nothing is touching it) for about an hour and then take it out and wrap it tightly but gently with plastic wrap. The first freezing makes the icing hard and the wrap won't damage it. Then I just put it in a plastic container and put it in the freezer. You can keep it for quite awhile, depending on the cake, not the frosting. Don't leave it uncovered for more than an hour, and check it after a half hour to see if it is firm - you don't want frost to form.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
I have another question there was a recipe for a strawberry cake, but the person forgot to put temp & time to bake does anyone have suggestions?

Thanks
Frieda

I see you posted in the cake thread. Constance is offline now so that is why she isn't answering you. Knowing cakes, I would say bake it at 350 for about 25 - 30 minutes, but check it after about 20 minutes or so to see how it is doing. It is done when it springs back if you touch the center or stick a toothpick in and it becomes clean.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom