Fruit Trifle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iCook31

Assistant Cook
Im not sure if this in the right part or not, but I have some questions about a trifile.

I am going to be making a trifile soon and I looked up a recipe and saw what you had to do. I know they are very simple to make but I just wanted to see what most people were doing with it.

Does anyone have any tips for making one? Whats good in it. Whats not.

Thanks!

A trifle is just layers of fruit with whipped cream or pudding or cut up cake or shortbread or cookies, etc.

Usually served in a glass dish so you can see the layers.

I usually make them in the summer with strawberries or mixed berries or peaches.

I start with cut up pound cake, layer on macerated fruit, then whipped cream, then more fruit and then whipped cream on the top. I think it works best when the heavier things (cake, pudding) are toward the bottom.

But trifles are definitely desserts that you can experiment with!

jennyema said:
A trifle is just layers of fruit with whipped cream or pudding or cut up cake or shortbread or cookies, etc.

Usually served in a glass dish so you can see the layers.

I usually make them in the summer with strawberries or mixed berries or peaches.

I start with cut up pound cake, layer on macerated fruit, then whipped cream, then more fruit and then whipped cream on the top. I think it works best when the heavier things (cake, pudding) are toward the bottom.

But trifles are definitely desserts that you can experiment with!

Thanks. I will just play around with it. I knew you had to put the cake at the bottom. And about the whipped cream. I will just see what fruits my grocery store has and play around with it. Thanks!

I made one last weekend, forgot to buy whipping cream and only had cool whip so I made a vanilla pudding and put that on top of the cake, then topped with a layer of nectarines,raspberries,strawberries and blueberries, and we just added some cool whip to each serving if it was wanted..My family loved the vanilla pudding as a layer.

kadesma:)

Wow I am getting hungry just thinking about this trifile!

I think I am just going to play around with the recipe and see what it comes out to be. I am going to try the pudding in the trifile for sure.

I hope my grandma likes the trifile I make her!! :D

If you are a chocoholic, layer crumbled brownies between chocolate (or vanilla) pudding and sliced strawberries or raspberries (or *gasp* cherry pie filling). Keep on layering. Top it off with whipped cream, chopped nuts & chocolate curls.

*amy* said:
If you are a chocoholic, layer crumbled brownies between chocolate (or vanilla) pudding and sliced strawberries or raspberries (or *gasp* cherry pie filling). Keep on layering. Top it off with whipped cream, chopped nuts & chocolate curls.

Whatever you do don't even THINK about drizzling Kahlua over those brownies :LOL:

kitchenelf said:
Whatever you do don't even THINK about drizzling Kahlua over those brownies :LOL:

:ROFLMAO: Ya know, I was gonna mention it... but didn't know if I should bring more calories into the recipe. (Great minds think alike :) ). There is another w coffee & chocolate ice cream, layered with pound cake (soaked in Kahlua? - have to go look), but it's more of a frozen tiramisu cake.

This is one of my favorites:

CSC - California Strawberry Commission+

Another way to change this one a bit, use lemon pudding mix w your strawberries.

Chocolate mousse mix (in place of chocolate pudding), is another idea for the brownie trifle. Have fun and experiment.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom