HELP, how do I thicken frosting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iogato

Assistant Cook
I made a raspberry chocolate frosting and I followed the directions wrong. :ohmy:

Here are the ingredients:

1 pound semisweet chocolate, melted in double boiler
1 1/3 cups sour cream
6 tablespoons seedless raspberry jam
1/4 cup light corn syrup
3 tablespoons unsalted butter

I was supposed to beat the first four ingredients for 3 minutes until fluffy and then add the butter. But I added all 5 ingredients. After 3 minutes, it wasn't fluffy. After 5 minutes, still not fluffy. It is pretty runny (too thin to frost well). It has been in the fridge for 30 minutes but that hasn't helped. Can I add something to stiffen, harden it up to be more like "frosting"? It is already fairly sweet so I don't know about adding powdered sugar.

Help help.
Anxiously awaiting your brilliance!!

Looking at the chemistry, I think you just need to beat it more. I don't know how cold the chocolate has gotten - if too cold you will have texture problems - but I would whip it a while and see if it doesn't fluff up to the proper thickness. You could reheat the whole thing - butter and all - to about 99 degrees, which will melt the chocolate, but not the butter, but I would try just whipping first. you need a good kitchen thermometer to hit the spot between chocolate and butter melting.

It will change the flavor, but you can thicken it by adding powdered sugar. You might have to add more dark chocolate to balance the flavor.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

When I needed to stiffen icing I just added corn starch, a little at a time until I got the results I wanted. You can add powdered sugar (which contains corn starch) and get similar results, but it will take more of it and it will definitely make your icing sweeter. Try the corn starch trick.

Cornstarch requires heat to thicken a liquid, which is why it's used in cooked frostings.

Uncooked corn starch might give the frosting an off taste.

I'd try powdered sugar.

Or do it over. The butter is supposed to thicken it, but if you dump everything together it will melt. Once combined, you cant really help it much.

Make sure the first three ingredients have beaten together and thickened some before adding the butter.

You could also try completely cool it and beat it again, possibly with some powdered sugar.

Last edited:
It will change the flavor, but you can thicken it by adding powdered sugar. You might have to add more dark chocolate to balance the flavor.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

That was my first thought, but I think I would start over and follow the instructions. :ermm: (Yes, this kind of thing has happened to me.:rolleyes:)

SO... I tried adding a bit of cream of tartar, since I didn't have any cornstarch. That didn't work. Then someone told me to try adding room temp cream cheese, that didn't help. So I added lots of powdered sugar. And that did help a little but the taste was totally off. I tossed it and started over.

Thanks for all your responses!!!!
They are much appreciated.

I've always used cornstarch in mine too..I am aware of the heat with it so the science behind using it doesnt really make any sense but it was something I picked up from an old betty crocker cookbook.
are you doing this by hand?

it does make sense to start with the first five though when I look at it...so it really could just be things didnt have time to gather air to stiffen everything up in the end.

Iogato, put corn starch on your grocery list. It is very inexpensive, but oh so handy to have when you need it.

These tips about adding corn starch are quite helpful--I'll have to try it next time I face this problem. Thanks, experts!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom