Help my banana and walnut cake please?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dhb

Assistant Cook
hi folks this is my first post so any help will be very much appreciated.

i regularly bake a banana and walnut cake and every time without fail the top splits open during baking.

any ideas as to what i am doing wrong please?

i may need to supply more info but i will wait to see what the initial response is.

i am a relative duffer in the baking stakes!

thanks

Oven to hot...Check with oven thermometer to see if it matches what you have it set on........Welcome to DC

PS....I'm kinda a baking duffer too;)

Cracking can be a result of the temperature but, also the amount of flour or liquid. It is not easy to get the moisture right in this type of cake due to the variation in the size and ripeness of the bananas. If the cake tastes good I would live with it as a rustic homestyle item. A good dollop of whipped cream can hide most any crack.

Cracking can be a result of the temperature but, also the amount of flour or liquid. It is not easy to get the moisture right in this type of cake due to the variation in the size and ripeness of the bananas. If the cake tastes good I would live with it as a rustic homestyle item. A good dollop of whipped cream can hide most any crack.

My Granddaddy used to say a Cake wasn't any good if it didn't fall apart a bit.....:)

Don't worry this happens to my banana loaf all the time! Bake for half the time exposed and then pop some tin foil over the case for the second half. Plus it means you can bake on for slightly longer without burning the top of the cake. The moist stays in (I'm guessing it's like steaming really) and the loaf only suffers minor crackage.

That said, it might just be a loaf thing. :) Good luck

I can't answer your question but failing that I think it needs to be said that there is nothing so yummy looking as a well crowned banana bread (cake) with that big old inviting looking crack down the middle. For my money that is what it's supposed to look like. Sort of rustic. I don't know why but if that crack isn't there something in my head tells me it just isn't going to taste as good.

[...] there is nothing so yummy looking as a well crowned banana bread (cake) with that big old inviting looking crack down the middle. For my money that is what it's supposed to look like. Sort of rustic. I don't know why but if that crack isn't there something in my head tells me it just isn't going to taste as good.

Haha, I totally agree!! I love it when they come straight out the oven all cracked and steaming. :-p Plus if they're really moist and lovely they crumble to bits anyway.

But the cracks do make them difficult to ice (royal icing esp) for decorated birthday cakes.

as most have said; you propably wont be able to make it not crack, but you could scratch the surface with a knife before baking (as bakers do with bread and stuff) to make it look more proffesional : )

hi folks this is my first post so any help will be very much appreciated.

i regularly bake a banana and walnut cake and every time without fail the top splits open during baking.

any ideas as to what i am doing wrong please?

i may need to supply more info but i will wait to see what the initial response is.

i am a relative duffer in the baking stakes!

Welcome to DC.

Josie

Back
Top Bottom