Homemade chocolate frosting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vagriller

Head Chef
How come homemade chocolate frosting is not as creamy as store-bought frosting? Also it's not as dark. What's the secret?

I don't know... Mine is just as creamy, sometimes creamier. depends upon what you're putting into it!

You can make it darker by adding a dab of instant espresso POWDER to the frosting.... :)

Post your recipe, then maybe I can tell what's keeping yours from the creamy consistency you want!

I have not tried homemade chocolate frosting before - I just use the one from the market which is moist and delicious.

I really don't have any suggestions for you.

Jill and Jolie

ChefJune said:
Post your recipe, then maybe I can tell what's keeping yours from the creamy consistency you want!

It's not my recipe, but my mother in law's recipe. I'll see if I can get it.

Add butter, shortening, vanilla and a REALLY good cocoa (Ghirardelli, for example) to the homemade one and you'll have an even better tasting one than the store bought.

Wow, I'm going to have to try this. My m-i-l will be steamed though. She's the cake diva in the family! If I make a better cake (I think I can, hers is from a box) and some killer chocolate frosting there's gonna be a war!

I have always used unsalted butter, Domino Confectioners sugar (10X), Hershey's Cocoa, a teaspoon of instant espresso powder, Nielsen-Massey Vanilla Extract, and a pinch of fine sea salt... all moistened with whole milk or cream, and the frosting is always creamy and delicious. I don't really have a recipe for it... started making it around age 10, and have been successful with it ever since. :chef:

for some reason I couldn't open your link to Ina's recipe, Andy, but I will have a look when the computer gods are kinder.

vagriller, I've always liked the results I get from the recipe on the Hershey's can of cocoa (and now it comes in the dark chocolate version).

I've also used squares of Ghirardelli baking choc with nice results. I think the recipe comes printed on the packaging.

I think what makes the difference is in commercial frostings they use an emulsified shortening called sweetex. This holds the emulsion of fat and liquid better and it is therefore lighter and fluffier, but I think worse tasting. I use both butter and solid vegetable shortening i.e. Crisco. This mimics, pretty closely the fluffiness and creaminess that sweetex gives, but has a much truer flavor. Axeldbljumps

axel, I have to agree with you about the Crisco. I believe most of the frostings I ate as a kid (before the canned kind) usually had Crisco as a major player.

I read that recipe it is a ganache.... truffle.... chocolate and cream. It is a very good type but needs refrig. or a cold room.

You're welcome to try mine if you'd like.

Chocolate Fudge Frosting
Mix together:
1/2 cup softened butter or margarine
1 pound powdered sugar
3/4 cup Hershey's cocoa
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla

Dina said:
Wish we could all go into a frosting challenge here!

My Birthdays the 28th of September if you all can get your frosting to me by then I would be more than glad to try them all :whistling :w00t2: .
P.S. if you put a cake under the frosting I wouldn't penalize you !!!!!!!!!! :ohmy: :angel:

:LOL: :ROFLMAO: Have a Frosting Good "MAIDRITE DAY" :cool:

Swann said:
I read that recipe it is a ganache.... truffle.... chocolate and cream. It is a very good type but needs refrig. or a cold room.

It contains butter as well. I guess you could call it a buttercream.

Ganache is only cream and chocolate (although small amounts of certain other ingredients can be added in to add flavor, sheen, etc.). It's VERY straightforward to make, pipes BEAUTIFULLY and is unbeatable in taste.

And it's very, very smooth!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom