Hot Milk Sponge Cake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marmalady

Executive Chef
Just made this for a guest dinner, and it was so easy and simple, and came out perfectly! A great little cake for a small dessert.

Hot Milk Sponge Cake

2 eggs
1 c. flour
1 c. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 c. milk, scalded
1 tsp. baking powder
4 tbsp. butter
1 tsp. vanilla

Beat eggs well. Add sugar gradually, beating until lemon colored. Add sifted dry ingredients. Add scalded milk with butter added. Stir lightly into batter. Add vanilla. Pour into 8 inch square pan*. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

*Note: I just made this in two 6-inch round pans, and it came out beautifully!

I filled the cake with lime curd, and frosted it the French Cream Frosting I've posted before, flavored with lime rind and juice.

Marmalady, can you point me in the direction of the French Cream Frosting, please? A search didn't turn it up. Thanks.

That recipe sounds so scrumptious Marm :) I bet it was polished off in a snap!

Licia, I did a Google search for you, and found this, it's a bit like the one that I've used occasionally (but I'm curious about your's too Marm): French Cream Icing

Thanks. I've never used a frosting like this. I usually use a 7minute or something like that - the one my mom always used - she called it 1,2,3 icing. A cup of sugar, 2 egg whites and 3 tablespoons of water - all in a double boiler and mix til frothy and cooked. Add vanilla before final beating.

licia said:
Thanks. I've never used a frosting like this. I usually use a 7minute or something like that - the one my mom always used - she called it 1,2,3 icing. A cup of sugar, 2 egg whites and 3 tablespoons of water - all in a double boiler and mix til frothy and cooked. Add vanilla before final beating.

You're welcome, Licia :) I adore 7 minute frosting, it was always what I asked for on my birthday cake growing up. Though everyone in our famiy just calls it "marshmallow frosting" or "birthday frosting".

Marmalady, I haven't heard of sponge cake since I was a kid growing up in NYC. Is it similar in texture to pound cake? TIA

Mish, no it's lighter than pound cake - light, and almost a little 'chewy' in texture.

Sorry, I thought I'd posted this recipe a while ago. It's an economical answer to buttercream, keeps a long time, and doesn't go south in the heat!

FRENCH CREAM FROSTING
In small saucepan, make a paste of 2T flour and ½ cup milk; whisk together to keep smooth over low heat, bring to a boil, and cook til thick, 2-3 minutes. Cool to almost room temp..

In a bowl, cream 4 minutes - ¼ cup crisco, ¼ cup butter, ½ cup sugar.
Add 1 tsp. vanilla, and the flour mixture and beat another 4 minutes.

Makes about 2 ½ cups

This made enough to frost the 6" layer cake; for a larger cake, I'd double it. You can add some melted bitter or semisweet chocolate to make a chocolate frosting.

I've made this cake many times, too, and it is so versatile. It's lovely with fresh strawberries and cream and also iced with "dulce de lece" (sweetened condensed milk boiled in the tin for about 3 hours (no, it doesn't explode)). In the US, you can find it with the Goya products - but it's Nestle brand. Once, I got adventurous and instead of hot milk, heated orange juice from a oranges from a tree in our back yard (they were very tart, but very juicy). It came out lovely.

Thank you, Marmalady. I imagine this is very pretty when it's sliced, as well.

It was, Mish - especially with the lime curd filling - kinda surprised everyone, but they loved it when they tasted it! Lemon curd would work as well, with maybe coconut sprinkled on the frosting?!

marmalady said:
It was, Mish - especially with the lime curd filling - kinda surprised everyone, but they loved it when they tasted it! Lemon curd would work as well, with maybe coconut sprinkled on the frosting?!

You're killing me, Marmalady. :LOL: Sign me up for coconut. :) TY, again.

My grandmother used to make this cake, but poured the batter in a 9 x 13 dish, then cut cake into rectangular bars. I believe each bar was then dipped in a thin powdered sugar/milk mixture, then rolled in chopped walnuts. She called them Nut Bars.

Back
Top Bottom