How much coconut extract for creme cake?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

legend_018

Head Chef
I saw another post for italian creme cake, but thought it would be best to post this separately. It calls for 1 cup of coconut (the recipe I have) and saw someone say they substituted it for coconut extract. How would I know how much extract? Also is the chopped pecans required or will it be a big deal if they are left out.

The link for the one that I found is here:

Italian Cream Cake Recipe from Edgeworth Inn Bed and Breakfast - Cakes Recipes

I have to say that although that cake sounds delicious, it doesn't sound very Italian to me.

If you are looking for an authentic Italian cake, I suggest Nick Malgieri's "Great Italian Desserts," or you could go to his web site and ask him directly what he would suggest for your mom's birthday cake, and please for the recipe. (Or you could ask for a Cream Cake recipe.)

I found this recipe on his site. There is also a blurb that you can't email for recipes. Anyways, this might be a good one to make. I just wonder if I can make it in my new spring form pan instead of what it suggests.

http://www.nickmalgieri.com/recipes/6-cakes/trionfo_gola.html

Miss Legend -- I am well acquainted with the cake you refer to. It has been made in my family for as long as I can remember. It is awesome!! Is there a reason you do not want to use coconut or pecans????? Both the coconut and the pecans are as much about the texture of the cake as the flavor.
To your question about the amount of extract...I don't have a clue.

Miss Legend -- I am well acquainted with the cake you refer to. It has been made in my family for as long as I can remember. It is awesome!! Is there a reason you do not want to use coconut or pecans????? Both the coconut and the pecans are as much about the texture of the cake as the flavor.
To your question about the amount of extract...I don't have a clue.

I don't know about you, Uncle Bob, but to me, the cake would be ruined without the actual coconut in it. The extract would not cut it.

I don't know about you, Uncle Bob, but to me, the cake would be ruined without the actual coconut in it. The extract would not cut it.

I totally agree. The coconut and the pecans are just as important as the flour and sugar in this particular cake. It just wouldn't/couldn't be the same IMO.

ChefJune, I totally agree with you about Nick Malgieri. His Italian book, "Great Italian Desserts" was the first book I turned to when I read about this odd recipe.
I wonder if his pan di spagna would make a more authentic cake or if this was an Americanization of a Cassata di Pasticceria or Cassata Casalinga or even a Zuccotto alla Ricotta.

I saw another post for italian creme cake, but thought it would be best to post this separately. It calls for 1 cup of coconut (the recipe I have) and saw someone say they substituted it for coconut extract. How would I know how much extract? Also is the chopped pecans required or will it be a big deal if they are left out.

The link for the one that I found is here:

Italian Cream Cake Recipe from Edgeworth Inn Bed and Breakfast - Cakes Recipes

Bickford flavors makes extracts and steamed essences. They are a chef's secret. You can not only buy coconut extract from them (an other wonderful flavors), you could ask them your substitution question.

see Bickford Flavors

A caterer who I took some baking classes from shared with me that when a client insists on an apple dessert when apples aren't the best, he likes to add some of their apple essence to the dessert. I have also done so.

I would do something like that, but different. I would add a little bit of a really good apple cider, along with a thickener of some kind, to the apple mixture, before I topped it. It always came out good.

Back
Top Bottom