Ice Cream Cake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ripliancum

Cook
I had a strange idea. I thought of making a cake, and cutting the crust off of the top. Then melting some ice cream, and pouring the melted ice cream into the cake and then freezing it. I've never actually tried it, but it seems like it would make a pretty good ice cream cake? Has anyone heard of this or tried it?

Thats quite a wild idea. I have never heard of such a thing, but trying it would be fun. I have a chocolate chip ice cream cookie though. See if you like it.

CHOCOLATE CHIP COOOKIE ICE CREAM CAKE
http://dessert.allrecipes.com/recipes/largerimage.asp?nprid=19005&src=0
· 1 (18 ounce) package small chocolate chip cookies
· 1/4 cup margarine, melted
· 1 cup hot fudge topping
· 2 quarts vanilla ice cream
· 1 cup whipped cream
· 12 cherries

Crush half the cookies (about 20) to make crumbs. Combine crumbs with melted margarine and press into the bottom of a 9-inch springform pan or pie plate. Stand remaining cookies around edge of pan. Spread 3/4 cup fudge topping over crust. Freeze 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, soften 1 quart of ice cream in microwave or on countertop. After crust has chilled, spread softened ice cream over fudge layer. Freeze 30 minutes.
Scoop remaining quart of ice cream into balls and arrange over spread ice cream layer. Freeze until firm, 4 hours or overnight. To serve, garnish with remainder of fudge topping, whipped cream and cherries.

Melting and refreezing ice cream does not work well as far as I know. I think you end up with ice crystals in the ice cream so it will not be a creamy texture anymore. I could be wrong though so don't hold me to it :)

I had copy pasted this recipe a while back from somewhere (I don't quite remember the source) only after reading the amazing reviews from the people who tried it..

I agree ice cream doesn't refreeze well. If you were to soften the ice cream just enough to put it inside the cake than that would be a better solution than completely melting it. Usually if I leave mine on the counter for a 5 or ten minutes that should soften it enough for you to be able to work with it. I hope this helps ya out.

Back
Top Bottom