ISO Cake Roll Fillings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Power-Append

Assistant Cook
I want to make cake roll, but I am not sure what to put for the filling, any filling ideas?

Thank You :)

That depends somewhat on what you make for a cake.

My SO has a pumpkin cake roll recipe that's out of this world with a flavored cream cheese filling but that may not be the best thing for another type of cake.

Do you mean a Jelly Roll?

My Mother used to make them with, of course, Jelly..

but also melted down chocolat chips!

haven't had one in years..

I think she always just bought a box of White Cake mix?

Eric, Austin Tx.

Last edited:
If the cake is chocolate, I'd vote for a really good raspberry jam.

If the cake is vanilla, I'd go with a chocolate mousse type thing, but, depending on what you're aiming for, an orange marmalade or lemon curd.

I'm with clare on teh raspberry jam for chocolate cake. Blueberry jam goes great with yellow cake. Although, it's quite easy to turn a blueberry muffin mix, or two into a suitable cake for your jelly roll.

Pastry Cream goes with all cakes, and can be flavored with cherry, blueberry, raspberry, strawberry, lemon, cream cheese, etc. It's the morther sauce of creme fillings.

Nutella makes a great filling, especially when mixed half 'n half with chocolate buttercream frosting. Think devil's food cake with Nutella/chocolate frosting. But then, you have a cake roll, rather than a jelly roll.

Vanilla butter cream combined with peanut butter is great. Honey and buttercream is great. Cream cheese frosting mixed with crushed pineapple is a winner. Add coconut and have a pina colada filling.

The ideas really are endless. Play with what kind of cake flavor you want to use, and pair it with a complimentary flavor.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I like chocolate cake with either vanilla ice cream or coffee ice cream as a filling. I love frozen chocolate cake roll with ice cream in the swirls.

Wow! Ice Cream..

will the cake Roll with Ice Cream on it?

I always thought that to Roll it, the sheet cake still had to be warm..

I'm gonna call my Mom!

Eric.

What is the secret in making it so that the cake will roll? Remember: I'm not a baker. :ermm:

I'm not a baker, either. But always took home ec in school for an "easy A". You grease the pan very well, then put down a piece of wax paper (I think parchment is more trendy). Then, you grease the paper. You pour the batter on, then bake. While still warm, you put another greased piece of wax paper on top and very gently roll. When cool, you un-roll (don't force it, leave the curl in), remove the layers of paper, spread with filling, then re-roll. re-wrap in new wax paper and a towel. when cool, unwrap and, if desired, frost (like for a bouche de noel).

I'm actually curious if any bakers out there think this is right, since the last time I did it was in 10th grade home ec class.

What is the secret in making it so that the cake will roll? Remember: I'm not a baker. :ermm:
After cake is baked while warm you put a tea towel on top and roll. When cake is cool you gently unroll, remove towel spread with filling (softened ice cream if you are using it) then reroll 9(without the towel LOL) and allow to chill to firm up (if you use ice cream place in freezer till ice cream freezes again).

Try using cannoli filling. Ricotta cheese, a little powdered sugar, some cinnamon and whipped cream folded in gently! Maybe some grated bittersweet chocolate folded in. Roll it up and spank it with some more powdered sugar.

I'm not a baker, either. But always took home ec in school for an "easy A". You grease the pan very well, then put down a piece of wax paper (I think parchment is more trendy). Then, you grease the paper. You pour the batter on, then bake. While still warm, you put another greased piece of wax paper on top and very gently roll. When cool, you un-roll (don't force it, leave the curl in), remove the layers of paper, spread with filling, then re-roll. re-wrap in new wax paper and a towel. when cool, unwrap and, if desired, frost (like for a bouche de noel).

I'm actually curious if any bakers out there think this is right, since the last time I did it was in 10th grade home ec class.
I've used a tea towel to do this. Does that make me older than Claire?

Make sure you don't put too much filling, because when you roll it up, the filling is somehow squeezed up.

My favourite is vanilla-flavoured whipped cream with small bits of fresh strawberries.

Back
Top Bottom