ISO cheesecake crust ideas...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AllenOK

Executive Chef
Ok, two years ago, I had a piece of cheesecake that had the BEST crust! Sweet, crispy, and tasted like caramel. I've been wanting to recreate that crust, but haven't really had the chance.

I made a cheesecake a little over a year ago, and my other half, PeppA, loved it. I used a standard short dough (think sugar cookie) crust, that I learned in college.

I've since realized that to get a decent "caramel-like" taste, I'm probably going to have to use brown sugar somewhere in the crust.

Two days ago, I made a cheesecake. 10" in diameter, tasted great, nice and thick, etc. Somehow I got it into my head to make chocolate chip cookie dough, minus the chips and nuts, and use that for a crust, which I did.

It tasted good. The one thing I hadn't counted on was the leavening in the cookie dough (I used a half-batch of the Nestle Tollhouse recipe). The resulting crust came out spongy and soft (like the cookies would have been).

I'm now thinking I want to go back to a short dough crust, but instead of white sugar, use brown sugar for the crust.

Heck, if I can't get a good caramel-like flavor then, I might just make the brown sugar short dough, bake it, the drizzle a little caramel over the crust before I pour the cheesecake batter in.

Any ideas, folks?

I made a cheesecake a few years ago that used crushed ginger nut biscuits in the base. (Can't remember what the filling was, presumably something that went well with it!) No longer have the recipe unfortunately but it was the best base I have ever had on a cheesecake and I really am not much of a cheesecake fan.

I had an idea. When I make cheesecake I almost always use a crumb crust. Graham crumbs, sugar and butter. I imagine that you could try melting some hard caramel candies with the butter, and probably decrease the amount of sugar for your caramel flavored crust.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom