ISO Chocolate Cake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sarah

Head Chef
a good chocolate cake is my favorite dessert,i keep trying diff recipes myself too,but am still waiting for the best chocolate cake recipe,most recipes call for a lot of soda and baking powder(to mositen and soften the cake i guess) but it ends up tasting like soda...so i'm looking for a really moist and yummy cake recipe that tastes good even without frosting....frosting i usually make the choc buttercream one,but would love to try something different(with chocolate ofcourse,maybe using some heavy cream?).
any help out there?

Some where I have a recipe for CHOCOLATE Zucchini cake.
It's really good and moist. It's been years since I've made it but
I'll take a look and try to find it for you.

thanks in advance pds! and do u think i can exclude zuccini from it?

Try using the recipe on the back of the Hershey's cocoa can. Very nice chocolate cake, moist, and add whatever frosting you like.

pdswife said:
lol... I don't think so... The zucchini is a large part of the recipe.
lol pds! then maybe i can exclude chocolate :LOL: ,i want my choc cake to just taste like chocolate,and my zuccini cake to just taste like zuccini....am i silly?:)
well i would still love to have ur recipe! would be a great help when i feel like having some sweet zuccini.

amber said:
Try using the recipe on the back of the Hershey's cocoa can. Very nice chocolate cake, moist, and add whatever frosting you like.

Amber ! i have tried this recipe ,it was ok,not bad,i mean it was good because it was so moist and gooey,but it tasted so much like soda...

thanks a lot urmaniac! this looks great,and has an interesting history...
i will def try it,but wont use the apricot jam,instead i would go for a good choc icing between,over and on the sides.

Yer welcome Sarah, I was just going to say that maybe a too much chocolate, but then I remembered for a real choco-cake lovers, there's no limit to the amount of the chocolate!!:-p
This cake have a really nice shiny smooth coating, which the recipe I gave you didn't explain in details. I am just going to get a little sleep now but I will do a bit more of research on the glazing technique, I will follow up tomorrow!!
buona notte:)

you are right urmaniac! its never enough for me when it comes to chocolate,the more the better!
yeah,the cake really looks nice with a shiny chocolate glaze,but they didnt give a recipe for that...

I made the sacher torte and sent it to my dd when she lived in California. I packed it well, but it still wasn't exactly right when it arrived. She and my gd ate it with a spoon. It was her first birthday away from home and she was really homesick. She said the cake really helped her even if it was a bit messy.

CHOCOLATE ZUCCHINI CAKE

1/2 c butter
1/2 c Oil
1 3/4 c Sugar
2 1/2 c Flour
1 ts Baking powder
1 ts Baking soda
2 c Grated zucchini
2 Eggs
1 ts Vanilla
1/2 c Sour milk
4 1/2 tbs Cocoa
1/2 ts Cinnamon
1/2 c Chocolate chips :)

Cream together the butter, oil and sugar. Add eggs, vanilla, and sour milk.
Mix well. Sift dry ingreds. Then add to the oil mixture. Mix it all up really well. Add
zucchini last and mix well. Put in a 13 x 9 pan. Sprinkle with chocolate
chips. Bake at 350 for 35 min. or until done. You can use a chocolate frosting
or cream cheese frosting.

Since this is a dark cake.. I butter and then use sugar instead of flour to coat the
pan. No ugly white splotches.

http://duramecho.com/Food/Sachertorte/

Okay Sarah, this recipe includes what seems to be a fool proof glaze making method, which I liked the most. It is just that I would use a double boiler to heat up the chocolate and syrup instead of nuking... If you are not used to the metric measurements, here is the guideline

100g / 3,5oz
125g / 4,4oz
150g / 5,2oz
200g / 7oz

170C° = 340F°
25C° = 77F°

Hope this helps!!:chef:

pdswife said:
CHOCOLATE ZUCCHINI CAKE

1/2 c butter
1/2 c Oil
1 3/4 c Sugar
2 1/2 c Flour
1 ts Baking powder
1 ts Baking soda
2 c Grated zucchini
2 Eggs
1 ts Vanilla
1/2 c Sour milk
4 1/2 tbs Cocoa
1/2 ts Cinnamon
1/2 c Chocolate chips :)

Cream together the butter, oil and sugar. Add eggs, vanilla, and sour milk.
Mix well. Sift dry ingreds. Then add to the oil mixture. Mix it all up really well. Add
zucchini last and mix well. Put in a 13 x 9 pan. Sprinkle with chocolate
chips. Bake at 350 for 35 min. or until done. You can use a chocolate frosting
or cream cheese frosting.

Since this is a dark cake.. I butter and then use sugar instead of flour to coat the
pan. No ugly white splotches.

thnaks a lot pds! it does look like a great recipe,i've already cut and pasted it in my recipe folder!!!:LOL:

urmaniac13 said:
http://duramecho.com/Food/Sachertorte/

Okay Sarah, this recipe includes what seems to be a fool proof glaze making method, which I liked the most. It is just that I would use a double boiler to heat up the chocolate and syrup instead of nuking... If you are not used to the metric measurements, here is the guideline

100g / 3,5oz
125g / 4,4oz
150g / 5,2oz
200g / 7oz

170C° = 340F°
25C° = 77F°

Hope this helps!!:chef:

urmaniac! you are so helpful,thankyou so much...errr...theres one more thing..whats a golden syrup?im sorry to ask such a dumb question,but i really have no idea,never used it...

Hi Sarah, sorry I forgot "Golden Syrup" is much more spread in Britain than in the US... it is a very tasty syrup made with evaporated sugar cane juice, it has a nice touch of toasty flavour and delicious as a pancake / ice cream topping... the most known brand is Lyle's, but if you can't find it you can also use corn syrup as a substitute without any problem!!
Lyle%5C's%20golden%20syrup.jpg

yeah,corn syrup is easy:) ,thanks again uramiac!you rock!!!:LOL:

I think that the cake on the back of the Hershey's can is VERY GOOD. My sister Camroen won 1st with it in a baking contest. You have to cook it in a 9x13 pan or else it will be to dry.

Grace

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom