ISO coconut cake recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buckytom

Chef Extraordinaire
i want to make my wife one of her favourite cakes, an "all white" coconut cake, for her birthday.

the problem is that i'm slammed for time so i can't do a search, and i need to make this by tomorrow.:chef:

does anyonw have a favourite recipe that they can direct me to? to describe it a little better, it's white or a vanilla type cake with wthite frosting that is loaded with coconut. i think a standard frosting from a can would work, mixed with the coconut. or if possible, a marshmallow and coconut frosting.

tia for any suggestions.

I'm sorry Buckytom...I have tried calling my MIL 3 times now to get this cake recipe for you. She has a recipe for, literaly, the BEST cake i've ever had in my life. It is a white cake, with white frosting with tons of coconut, and so so moist... Your wife would absolutely love it..

My MIL is a VERY busy woman, but if she does happen to call me back, before tomorrow, I will send you the recipe immediatly.

Oh Toots, that looks great! Excellent reviews, too!

Make that one, BT!

I tried to get in to Cook's Illustrated to get their's, but it's only for subcribers.

What a lovely thing to do for your wife!

Lee

thanks toots, qsis, merstar, and beginner chef.

bc, i'd still love the recipe no matter when you get it from your mom.

ok, i had to go to a doc, get my birthday shopping done, make dinner, do the bathtime-bedtime ritual, then pick up the ingredients for the cake, and cards from myself and boy, so i cheated and bought a box of white cake mix, a bag of coconut, and can of whipped cream frosting.

my boy and i made it this morning, and it came out great.

i would like to have gotten more of the coconut into the cake instead of just the frosting, and i'd like to make it from scratch next time, so i will be copying and trying the recipes that yous guys have posted.

thanks a bunch! :chef:

This is not a traditional coconut cake (or made from scratch), but an idea to play around with using fresh ingredients - perhaps mix the whipped cream with shredded coconut in the layers & over the top -- then top with fresh strawberries.

Angel Lush

Last edited:
You could make a basic cake but put coconut milk in it.
For the topping you could melt some white chocolate and then stir some butter into it(and a dash of rum if you want). Then smear this on the cake and sprinkle dried coconut on it while the topping is still warm.

Mel

Yummy Coconut Cake

This recipe is a big hit at church socials and ladies meetings.

Ingredients

1 box white cake mix (pudding in the mix)
1 small can Angel Flake coconut
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 large carton cool whip

Directions

Bake cake in sheet pan, according to directions on box. Cool. Pour condensed milk over top. Spread with Cool Whip. Sprinkle with coconut. Keep refrigerated.

This is not your traditional coconut cake, but it is unbearably delicious, and incredibly easy. and being a bundt cake, it carries well, for a picnic. :chef: If you love coconut desserts, you really have to try it!

Coconut Pound Cake

makes 1 10-inch tube (or bundt) cake or 2 9x5-inch loaf cakes

1 pound unsalted butter
2 cups pure cane sugar
2 cups flour (divided in half)
6 extra large eggs
7 ounces shredded, unsweetened coconut (get it at the health-food store)
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Make sure the rack is in the center of the oven. Grease and flour a 10-inch tube pan. (I use a bundt pan.)
2. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy (Carmen says “as a shampooed cat”).
3. Add one cup flour and beat some more.
4. Meanwhile, add the vanilla to the eggs (in a separate bowl). Then add eggs one at a time to batter, beating well after each addition.
5. Now mix coconut with the remaining one cup flour and add to batter, using a wooden spoon to incorporate. Pour into desired pan(s).
6. Bake about 45 minutes to one hour. Be sure to test with a cake tester or long toothpick to be sure it comes out clean when inserted in the center of the cake. [If it doesn’t come out clean, leave it in a few minutes longer!]

The glaze
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon pure extract (almond or vanilla--be inspired)

1. Combine sugar and water and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and add extract. Glaze is now ready.
2. When cake comes out of the oven, poke holes through cake with skewers and pour on glaze while cake is warm – while the cake is still in the pan. Don’t remove the cake from the pan until it is completely cool

Teacher’s Tip: This cake is best 24 hours after baking. But it generally can't make it until then, so bake two and eat one warm and hold the other until the magic 24 hours are up!

Last edited:
thanks amy, andy, doc, mel, recipe4, and chefjune.

no birthdays coming up soon, but i have vacation time we still love coconut cake, so i'm going to try one again soon.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom