ISO: Fruitcake Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ronjohn55

Head Chef
Okay, with all the joking about them, does anyone have an actual RECIPE for a fruitcake??

Thanks!
John

Fruitcake

Makes 24 servings
Each serving: 1/24 recipe

2 cups All-purpose flour
1 tsp. Baking powder
1/2 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Ground cinnamon
1 tsp. Ground allspice
1/2 tsp. Ground mace
1/2 tsp. Ground nutmeg
1/2 cup Margarine, softened
3/4 cup Packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup Brandy (or Apricot nectar)
1/4 cup Honey
1/4 cup Apricot nectar or orange juice
3 Eggs
1 3/4 cups Golden raisins
3/4 cup Chopped apricots
3/4 cup Chopped pitted dates
1 cup Glacéed orange peel
1/2 cup Halved glacéed cherries
1/2 cup Glacéed pineapple chunks
3/4 cup Chopped pecans

Combine all ingredients, except fruit and pecans, in large bowl; mix on low speed until blended. Beat on high speed 3 minutes. Mix in fruits and nuts.
Spread batter evenly in greased 12-cup tube pan with removable bottom. Bake at 275 degrees until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Cover top of cake with aluminum foil during last hour of baking, if necessary to prevent overbrowning. Cool in pan on wire rack 10 minutes; remove from pan and cool.
Wrap cake in cheesecloth dampened with brandy (or orange juice); wrap in plastic bag or aluminum foil. Refrigerate at least 1 month and up to 1 year, dampening cheesecloth with brandy (or orange juice) occasionally.

*It's not too late, but do it asap, the longer it sets, the better it is.
Use the brandy if you can - some of my familly have to stay away from alcohol so I used pommegranate juice this year - I'll let you know how it comes out.

Good Luck!

Here's my traditional British Christmas cake recipe

¾lb raisins
1lb currants
¾lb sultanas
4oz almonds
6oz mixed peel
4oz glace cherries
grated rind of half a lemon and the juice of 1 lemon
¾lb unsalted butter
¾lb moist brown sugar
6 eggs
¾lb plain flour
½ level tsp cinnamon
½ level tsp nutmeg
1 level tsp mixed spice
1 level tbs black treacle
At least 4 good tblespoons of brandy, rum or sherry plus extra to 'feed' cake when baked.

Grease a 9-10 inch tin. Cream butter, sugar and grated lemon rind until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Mix dry ingredients together well. Add to creamed butter etc. Combine thoroughly. Mix in the chosen alcohol and lemon juice (add a little extra if the mixture seems too stiff) to form a dropping consistency. Turn into lined tin, ensure there are no pockets of air and the surface of the mixture is flat. Tie a double band of brown paper around the tin - approximately 3 inches above the rim of the tin. Place in oven one rung below the middle at 160 degrees centigrade/325F/gas mark 2. Bake for 2 hours and then reduce heat to 150C/300F/Gas mark 1 for a further 1½-2 hours. Leave the cake to cool in the tin. Remove paper and turn cake upside down and make holes with a steel knitting needle or cocktail stick. Pour in extra spirit and leave cake upside down until the spirit has been absorbed. Wrap the cake in fresh greaseproof paper and leave for at least 48 hours before icing. Before icing, the cake can be stored for up to 2 months wrapped in foil. Keep "feeding" the cake with alcohol until you are ready to put the marzipan layer and then royal icing onto it.

Thanks for the recipes!

I'm not certain time will allow me to try them before the holidays (hopefully it will), but amongst all the talk and jokes about them, I realized that other than watching the Good Eats episode of fruitcake, I had never really seen a recipe for one!

Go figure that!

Thanks again

John

No Bake Fruit Cake

This recipe came off a Graham Cracker box about 20 years ago. I have made it almost every year since. Over the years the quanities have been adjusted to my taste. Feel free to adjust them to your liking. I use to wrap them in a brandy soaked cloth.

HOLIDAY FRUIT CAKE
My Special
Quantities
2 Envelops- Unflavored gelatin
1 ¼ Cup - Orange juice
1 Cup - Honey
2 sticks - Butter
4 ½ tsp - Orange zest
2 ½ tsp - Lemon zest
1 ½ tsp - Cinnamon
½ tsp - Cloves
¼ tsp - Allspice
¼ tsp - Ginger
5 Cup - Chopped nutz Pecans and Walnuts
3 Cup - Raisins (2 Light - 1 Dark)
16 oz. - Chopped dates
16 oz. - Candied fruit and peels, mixed.
8 oz. - Extra For topping - Candied Cherries, Pineapple,
8 Cup - Graham Crackers

1. Crush graham crackers to a very fine crumb consistency.
(No crumbs larger than a Sesame Seed.)
2. Mix dry spices and blend into the dry graham crackers. Add lemon and orange
zest blend well.
3. Mix candied fruits, raisins, dates, nuts and add to graham crackers. Mix well
4. Mix honey and melted butter.
5. Dissolve gelatin in warm orange juice.
6. Alternately add gelatin and honey/butter to graham cracker mix and blend
thoroughly.

Press firmly into 2 foil lined 9" X 5" X 2 ¾ “loaf pan. (Smaller pans may be used for gift size cakes.)
Decorate top with extra fruit and nutz.
Place in refrigerator, when firm remove from pan and wrap in foil.
Store in refrigerator at least 48 hours before serving. The longer the better!
Allow serving to come to room temperature before munching.
Will keep for 6 weeks, or more, in refrigerator.

Enjoy,
Charlie

I tried a new recipe this year where you mush the fruit up in a food processor. I don't want to post the recipe until the cake has been eaten! In case the recipe is terrible!!!! I made mine in Novermber and it's sitting there waiting to be eaten.

ronjohn55 said:
Okay, with all the joking about them, does anyone have an actual RECIPE for a fruitcake??

Thanks!
John

How about one you don't bake--it'll be ready to be eaten quickly:

Uncooked Fruitcake

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 pound vanilla wafers
1 pound raisins
2 cups nuts
1 bottle cherries well drained OR candied cherries
1 can condensed milk, sweetened

Crush vanilla wafers in food processor or blender until fine. Mix remainer of ingredients into vanilla wafer mixture well by hand and pack in loaf pan in refrigerator 24 hours. May pour bourbon over it if desired. Slice thinly and cut slices in half. Rich!

Description:
"Mom's recipe"
Yield:
"25 slices"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : Keeps indefinitely in refrigerator well wrapped.

Back
Top Bottom