ISO fruitcake recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dick Rademacher

Assistant Cook
In the 1960s I had a recipe for a light fruit cake that had no citrus but it did have raisens, dates,figs,and lots of nuts. I don't know how but I think someone was looking for the same recipe and a post from "chef June" said she had it and would post it. Please post it again so I can have it. I used to give them away at christmas time and everyone loved them. I have moved several times and lost it. I think that I originally found it in the Detroit News newspaper. Again Please and Thankyou.
The Old Crock:mellow:

Welcome to DC. I have 3 fruitcake recipes in my grandmother's files. One is a white fruitcake. I don't do fruitcake, but if anyone is interested, I can post them and you'll have to figure out how they work! At least she didn't label them as "Hairdressers!"

Welcome to DC. I have 3 fruitcake recipes in my grandmother's files. One is a white fruitcake. I don't do fruitcake, but if anyone is interested, I can post them and you'll have to figure out how they work! At least she didn't label them as "Hairdressers!"

I would love the white fruitcake, CWS! Thanks!

I would love the white fruitcake, CWS! Thanks!
This is Lil's recipe (don't know if that was my great-aunt Lil or someone else). You're going to have to work this out, because I haven't tested it, just giving it to you as my Grandma wrote it down! I'm sure it works, she was an amazing baker (and cook, and person).

1 c butter
2 c sugar
5 egg whites--beaten stiff
1 tsp baking powder
3/4 lb sultan raisons
1 lb citron
1/2 lb lemon peel
1/2 lb candied pineapple (red and green)
1 c sweet milk
3-1/2 c flour

1 c walnuts
1 c Brazil nuts (she didn't call them Brazil nuts, but for political correctness, I have changed what she called them)
1 c candied cherries
3 c coconut (I can't tell if that is a 2 or a 3, I think it is 3)

Do not chop nuts and fruits in small pieces. Cut fruit in strips so that it makes the cake more attractive. Mix as a white cake, adding fruit and nuts last. Bake in moderate oven 45 minutes. Line pans inside with several layers of paper (this was before parchment paper!) If you work it out, would you please share your tweaks? Thanks!

Perfect, I have it copied and will try it. Yes, if I have any tweaks I will let you know.

I will just look up how a white cake is mixed together. I bet some of the nuts (halved), the cherries (halved) and the coconut were used to decorate the top

Perfect, I have it copied and will try it. Yes, if I have any tweaks I will let you know.

I will just look up how a white cake is mixed together. I bet some of the nuts (halved), the cherries (halved) and the coconut were used to decorate the top
I'm assuming the butter and sugar were creamed together since they are listed at the beginning. I am guessing she would have sifted the flour because she always did and the egg whites were folded in before the nuts were added, but what do I know--I don't make white cake! And, given that the pineapple is sliced in strips, I'm again guessing that the fruit (pineapple and cherries) would be put in the pan, some of the cake batter added, then more pineapple and cherries...just guessing! We'll just call this CWS' Grandma's White Fruitcake :LOL:.

I think egg whites after the fruit and nuts, after the flour and milk even. Why make stiff egg whites to knock them down with mixing in more ingredients?

Also, if you stir the nuts and fruit into the sifted flour and baking powder, it will help separate the sticky fruit into isolated bits instead of glommed together chunks.

I think egg whites after the fruit and nuts, after the flour and milk even. Why make stiff egg whites to knock them down with mixing in more ingredients?

Also, if you stir the nuts and fruit into the sifted flour and baking powder, it will help separate the sticky fruit into isolated bits instead of glommed together chunks.
You go, girl! My grandma's recipes are like a mystery novel....you have to figure out how to get done!:LOL: At least we know that this recipe is a cake, unlike "Hairdressers"!:LOL:

Back
Top Bottom