ISO Funnel Cake / Fried Dough Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nytxn

Senior Cook
Ayone have a good recipe for Funnel Cake / Fried Dough?

Or did I miss the thread where folks posted their recipes already?

:mrgreen:

r u talking about the ones that you get at the fairs??
If so, here's one.
2 eggs

1 1/3 cups milk

2 2/3 cups flour

1/4 cup sugar

1/4 teaspoon salt

2 teaspoons baking powder powdered sugar

oil (for frying)

Beat eggs, add milk and beat again. Sift dry ingredients into a large bowl. add egg mixture and beat until smooth. Heat oil to 400 degree. Pour 1/2 cup of batter into a funnel. let batter drizzle into hot oil starting at the center and expanding in a circular motion, crosscrossing with the last bit of batter. brown on both sides. drain on paper towels. sprinkle with powdwered suga

I haven't tried this recipe yet. I've only made the ones that are in a box like cake mixes. These just look too easy to pass up. I may have to make some for the boys this weekend.

Ok, Texasgirl, I made your recipe tonight.

My wife loved it!

I suprised her with it as she read her book on the couch. :D

I just whipped up a batch of these. I had to make a few adjustments though. The batter was too thick to go through the funnel so I added more milk to make it thinner. I think because I added more milk the batter wasn't sweet enough so I add more sugar to the batter.
It was a fun challenge to try and get the batter to go from the center our. They ended up looking like spiders....:LOL: oh well they were some pretty tasty buggers.... .....my little one devoured them. DH wasn't home so I saved the batter and will whip him up a batch tonight after supper.
Thanks Tex!

Oh yea.......I added cinnamon to my powder sugar and sifted it over the cakes.

I don't believe I just found this thread :mad:

The past few weeks, I've been working on improving the basic Funnel Cake recipe I have. I've made it a few times, but a couple weeks ago, I had a thought. Why not use a buttermilk base? So, I reformulated my original recipe into two different ones. One is a "quick" mix, using buttermilk baking mix. The other is identical to the original, except I used buttermilk instead of milk. It came out pretty darn good. So good, in fact, that my MIL has been dropping hints for me to make some more, as I still have Buttermilk left :LOL:

Buttermilk Funnel Cakes
Yields: 4 - 6 servings

I like to use an 8” cast iron skillet for this, with about ½” of oil in it. If you have one, by all means, use it. If you’re lucky enough to have a 6” cast iron skillet, even better, as you can get personal-sized desserts.
I also just mix this up in a large measuring cup, then pour the batter directly into the hot oil. Messing with a funnel, and capping the end with a finger, is just a little to messy in my opinion. Using a measuring cuts down on dirty dishes, and works just great.

1 1/3 c flour
¼ t salt
2 T sugar
½ t soda
¾ t baking powder
1 egg, beaten
1 ½ c buttermilk, or more as needed
Oil for frying
powdered sugar

Into a large bowl, sift together the dry ingredients. Combine the liquid ingredients in a 4 c measuring cup. Add the dry ingredients. Beat until smooth. Fill a skillet or pan with ½” of cooking oil and heat to a temperature of 375°F. Pour the batter in a small stream into the hot oil, swirling around and criss-crossing over itself. Fry until golden brown, about 1 or 2 minutes, turning once with two spatulas. Remove to paper toweling to drain. Place on a plate and sprinkle with powdered sugar or fruit filling. Serve hot. Repeat the process until all of the batter is used up.

On a final note: I wouldn't be to surprised if the recipe I've posted here can also be used for basic buttermilk pancakes. Also, around here, fruit fillings seem to be the norm, instead of powdered sugar. I made a basic apple pie filling and topped my funnel cakes with that, although, just about any fruit filling will work.

White, heavily processed flour, grease, and sugar. Could anybody pass up such an indulgence? I'm not going to make this wicked treat. It's bad enough that I make my pancake recipe.

Oh if I only had that 19 year old body I used to have, you know, the one that could eat 2 Wendy's Tripples, Endless amounts of french fries, and funnel cakes, and weighed in at 103 lbs. Where did that body go anyway? :)

Goodweed of the North said:
...Where did that body go anyway? :)

GW:

It's still in there somewhere.:LOL: You just have to fish around a little. I find that if I dangle a french fry in front of my open mouth, my 19 year-old body will actually take control of my body and gobble it up.:angel:

Back
Top Bottom