ISO German Chocolate Cake recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrsdove

Senior Cook
Ok, I'm baking this cake for my hubby's birthday that is July 5. I have a great german chocolate frosting recipe but I need a good cake recipe. The box cake from the grocery store just isn't gonna cut it!

Thanks!

Sometimes.. the site is slow on weekends mrsdove but, some one will come a long soon and give you a great recipe. Sorry, I can't help.

Here's a definate winner - my mom had this at her friends' home and just loved it. (This coming from a woman who hates cake mix!)

Upside-Down German Chocolate Cake

1 c. coconut
1 c. chopped pecans
1 German Chocolate Cake mix (along with ingreds from the box)
1 stick butter
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
2 c. powdered sugar

Oil, but do not flour, a 9x13 baking pan.
Sprinkle coconut and pecans on bottom in even layer. Prepare cake mix to package directions. Pour over coconut/pecan layer.
Mix together remaining ingredients, and drop by spoonfuls over cake mix.
Bake @ 350 degrees for 50 minutes.
Optional: dust top with powdered sugar when cooled and plated.

This is one I like to use.....it is moist and very delish!:chef:

B. B. King's German Chocolate Cake

1/2 cup semisweet chocolate

1 1/4 cup butter

2 cups granulated sugar

4 eggs, separated

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

2 cups flour

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 cup buttermilk

Melt chocolate and 1/4 cup of the butter in heavy bottom pan. Let cool.

Cream together remaining butter and sugar in medium bowl. Beat in egg yolks. Stir in vanilla extract and chocolate mixture. Sift together dry ingredients. Alternately add dry ingredients and buttermilk to chocolate mixture.

Beat egg whites until stiff in large bowl. Fold in chocolate mixture. Pour cake batter evenly into the three prepared pans. Bake 30 minutes or until cake springs back. Let cool on racks.

Frosting

1 1/2 cups evaporated milk

1 1/2 cups granulated sugar

4 egg yolks, slightly beaten

3/4 cup butter

1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

2 cups coconut

2 cups chopped pecans

Combine evaporated milk, sugar, egg yolks and butter in a saucepan. Add vanilla extract. Cook over medium heat, stirring continuously until thickened (thick enough to coat back of spoon). Remove from heat. Stir in coconut and pecans. Cool until thick enough to spread over cake.

Place 1 cake layer on plate. Spread frosting evenly over top. Repeat with remaining layers. Spread remaining frosting evenly over sides of cake. Serve.

jkath said:
Here's a definate winner - my mom had this at her friends' home and just loved it. (This coming from a woman who hates cake mix!)

Upside-Down German Chocolate Cake

1 c. coconut
1 c. chopped pecans
1 German Chocolate Cake mix (along with ingreds from the box)
1 stick butter
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
2 c. powdered sugar

Oil, but do not flour, a 9x13 baking pan.
Sprinkle coconut and pecans on bottom in even layer. Prepare cake mix to package directions. Pour over coconut/pecan layer.
Mix together remaining ingredients, and drop by spoonfuls over cake mix.
Bake @ 350 degrees for 50 minutes.
Optional: dust top with powdered sugar when cooled and plated.

that sounds like one I did 2 years ago for his birthday. It was good but I couldn't get it to bake right. Mine ended up looking pretty pathetic and I tossed it. Maybe now that I have the altitude thing down, I'll have to try it again...

I found this recipe and one site it called it a German Chocolate Cake. I have not made this recipel. Recipe looks kinda like one, but will leave it up to you to decide if you want to try it.

Black Midnight Cake

Measurements & Ingredients

2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
3/4 cup cocoa
1 tsp salt
1 cup milk
1 cup black coffee
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
Cooking Directions:

Sift dry ingredients together. Add other ingredients in order listed. Batter is very thin. Bake 35 minutes in 2 greased and floured round pans at 350 F. Ice with creamy frosting.

Tip: For a strong coffee flavour use 2 Tbsp instant coffee and one cup of water.

Last edited:
Hi,

perhaps I can help you.

What especially you are searching for a German Cake recipe??:rolleyes:

Will it be a Cake with chocolate bisquit and whipped chocalate cream??

Or are you on search for a dry cake with powder sugar frosting?

Or can it be an ice-cream-chocolate cake??

Are you interested, please send me a Shortmessage...

lg from Germany

Tanja:chef:

jennyema said:
I use the recipe on the package of Baker's german sweet chocolate. It's foolproof and very good.

If you use cocoa powder or semisweet chocolate it won't taste like a "traditional" German Chocolate Cake, which is very mildly chocolaty.

I was going to say the same thing, only I couldn't remember the brand of chocolate the recipe was on. The recipe is a good one and when my Mother makes it up she usually triples the icing/frosting recipe that comes with it. Since my Dad and I have the same birthdate (month and day) Mom never had a problem making it, one year Dad would get the icing bowl, and the next I would. She said it was easier making this cake than 3 angel-food cakes (for my other 3 siblings) with a thick layer of chocolate icing.:)

karaburun said:
Hi,

perhaps I can help you.

What especially you are searching for a German Cake recipe??:rolleyes:

Will it be a Cake with chocolate bisquit and whipped chocalate cream??

Or are you on search for a dry cake with powder sugar frosting?

Or can it be an ice-cream-chocolate cake??

Are you interested, please send me a Shortmessage...

lg from Germany

Tanja:chef:

Wow, Tanja, I don't know about anyone else here, but , I would like all of the recipes. My sister adores German chocolate cake and this might be just the ticket to give her something else than the stuff we make.

"GERMAN CHOCOLATE CAKE" isn't German :chef:

German chocolate cake is an American invention which is called that because it originally used a particular brand of baking chocolate: Baker's German's Chocolate. That type of chocolate was invented by an employee of the baker Chocolate Factory (which is right around the corner from my house) named Sam German. He was from Texas, I think.

It's called german chocolate cake because of old Sam german, not because it had anything to do with the country of Germany.

To make a traditional german chocolate cake you need to use a particular type of chocolate -- Baker's German's or an equivalent. That's what made it distictive. Otherwise it will be your basic chocolate cake.

Baker's German's comes in a green box with a picture of German Chocolate cake on it.

Last edited:
Jennyema, I didn't even think of her thinking that, now that I reread her post, I see that she wrote a German......chocolate cake and not German chocolate...cake

:wacko: and here I am thinking that she had different kinds of recipes for it. Well duh on me.
I would still like to have a recipe for german cake. Would be different.

@ Texasgirl

You can get any recipe from me, but it will a little bit of time...
I must first translate the recipes ( that is a little bit difficult...)

Have a nice day.

lg Tanja

If you go to Google you can select "language tools" and you can type in the text you want translated to another language. Select the new language and it translates for you.

I think it's so funny when we Europeans THINK we know what you mean when you use expressions like 'German' chocolate cake or 'English' muffins!! I've got into some really weird conversations - me, thinking I know what the other person is talking about and them, thinking what an odd conversation!!!

American (and to a lesser extent, Canadian) foods are often assumed by Europeans to be 'British' or 'German' or 'Polish' or''Italian' (add in your own ethnic group here!) BUT the basic recipes have often been 'tweaked' by generations of Americans.

For instance, I have never heard of English muffins. We just have muffins.

I got into a long, involved discussion on a non-food related site with a nice American woman (who obviously knew little about food) - she was ADAMANT that pizza had been invented in New York by an Italian immigrant. As I said... 'whisper that softly in Naples'!

HanArt said:
Foodfiend, love your avatar! Where did you find that?

www.avatarity.com is where I got it, while checking out the Google page (I'm not real computer compatable, so I got my brother to show me a few things then I went exploring). All you got to do is, once in there, is to click on 'Various' and then click on 'Symbols' (it should be close to the top of that page). My avatar came from page 5 of the 'Symbol' avatars.:)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom