ISO Good Pound Cake recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oatmealkookie1

Assistant Cook
I make a Cream Cheese Pound cake every other week its very moist .. Would love to find some other great pound cakes that are moist and no need for frosting ... Thanks , Kookie :angel:

Try this one!

Coconut Pound Cake

makes 1 10-inch tube (or bundt) cake or 2 9x5-inch loaf cakes

1 pound unsalted butter
2 cups pure cane sugar
2 cups flour (divided in half)
6 extra large eggs
7 ounces shredded, unsweetened coconut (get it at the health-food store)
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
pinch of fine sea salt

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Make sure the rack is in the center of the oven. Grease and flour a 10-inch tube pan. (I use a bundt pan.)
2. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy (Carmen says “as a shampooed cat”).
3. Add one cup flour and beat some more.
4. Meanwhile, add the vanilla to the eggs (in a separate bowl). Then add eggs one at a time to batter, beating well after each addition.
5. Now mix coconut with the remaining one cup flour and add to batter, using a wooden spoon to incorporate. Pour into desired pan(s).
6. Bake about 45 minutes to one hour. Be sure to test with a cake tester or long toothpick to be sure it comes out clean when inserted in the center of the cake. [If it doesn’t come out clean, leave it in a few minutes longer!]

The glaze
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon pure extract (almond or vanilla--be inspired)

1. Combine sugar and water and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and add extract. Glaze is now ready.
2. When cake comes out of the oven, poke holes through cake with skewers and pour on glaze while cake is warm – while the cake is still in the pan. Don’t remove the cake from the pan until it is completely cool

Teacher’s Tip: This cake is best 24 hours after baking. But it generally can't make it until then, so bake two and eat one warm and hold the other until the magic 24 hours are up! (quote from Carmen Cook)

Thank you so much for posting the recipe site PieSusan I will be sure to check it out .. Also thank you ChefJune for sharing the Coconut pound cake recipe I appreciate the recipe .. :) Kookie

Yes, oatmeal! This recipe from MexicoKaren is absolutely wonderful!

Lee

LEMON SOUR CREAM POUNDCAKE (MexicoKaren)

Heat oven to 325F
Grease and flour a 10 inch tube or bundt pan

INGREDIENTS:
3 cups all purpose flour
½ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
Zest or grated rind from two lemons

I cup unsalted butter, room temp
3 cups granulated sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
6 eggs, room temperature
1 cup sour cream, room temp

PROCESS:
Whisk together the dry ingredients, including the lemon zest
In your mixer bowl, cream the butter and sugar for three minutes, then add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
Add vanilla.
Add the dry ingredients and sour cream alternately, starting with 1/3 of the flour mixture, followed by ½ sour cream, etc., ending with flour mixture. Beat until smooth, scraping sides of bowl often.

Bake at 325F in a greased and floured 10-inch tube/bundt pan for about an hour and a quarter, or until cake tests done. While cake is baking, make GLAZE by combining one cup freshly squeezed lemon juice, zest of one lemon, ¼ cup water and 2/3 cup sugar. Bring to a boil and simmer until it is reduced to about ½ cup. Set aside to cool a bit.

When cake tests done, let it rest in the pan for about 10 minutes, then brush ½ of the glaze on the cake. Turn onto rack and brush remaining syrup on cake.

lemonsourcreampoundcakeoz7.jpg

Yes, oatmeal! This recipe from MexicoKaren is absolutely wonderful!

Lee

LEMON SOUR CREAM POUNDCAKE (MexicoKaren)

Heat oven to 325F
Grease and flour a 10 inch tube or bundt pan

INGREDIENTS:
3 cups all purpose flour
½ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
Zest or grated rind from two lemons

I cup unsalted butter, room temp
3 cups granulated sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
6 eggs, room temperature
1 cup sour cream, room temp

PROCESS:
Whisk together the dry ingredients, including the lemon zest
In your mixer bowl, cream the butter and sugar for three minutes, then add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
Add vanilla.
Add the dry ingredients and sour cream alternately, starting with 1/3 of the flour mixture, followed by ½ sour cream, etc., ending with flour mixture. Beat until smooth, scraping sides of bowl often.

Bake at 325F in a greased and floured 10-inch tube/bundt pan for about an hour and a quarter, or until cake tests done. While cake is baking, make GLAZE by combining one cup freshly squeezed lemon juice, zest of one lemon, ¼ cup water and 2/3 cup sugar. Bring to a boil and simmer until it is reduced to about ½ cup. Set aside to cool a bit.

When cake tests done, let it rest in the pan for about 10 minutes, then brush ½ of the glaze on the cake. Turn onto rack and brush remaining syrup on cake.

lemonsourcreampoundcakeoz7.jpg

OMG! I NEED some of that RIGHT NOW! :rolleyes:

Thanks for the compliments on the lemon cake - we love it, too. Here is a new one - I came across a HUGE bag of slivered almonds at Costco just before Christmas, and have made several of these cakes as gifts for neighbors and friends. It is very good served with strawberries in the center and a little whipped cream, but it is good all by itself, too:

GLAZED ALMOND BUNDT CAKE
1 cup butter, softened
2 cups white sugar
4 eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons almond extract
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup ground almonds
½ cup evaporated milk
½ cup crema or sour cream
FOR THE GLAZE:
1/4 cup evaporated milk
3/4 cup white sugar
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 cup toasted sliced almonds (toast in a 350 degree oven for about 5-8 minutes, just until they start to smell really good, and are turning a little bit brown - I use my toaster oven)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Generously butter and flour a 10 inch Bundt pan.
Grind the almonds by placing ½ cup of the flour and ½ cup slivered almonds in a food processor or blender. Whisk together with the remaining 2 cups flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
In a large bowl, cream together the butter and 2 cups sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then incorporate the almond extract and vanilla. Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the crema and evaporated milk, mixing just until incorporated. Pour batter into prepared pan.
Bake in the preheated oven for 50-60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean - don’t overbake! Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes and invert on your serving plate to remove cake from pan..Ladle the glaze over the cake, keeping the almonds on top.

GLAZE: While the cake is baking, combine 1/4 cup evaporated milk, 3/4 cup sugar, 1/2 teaspoon almond extract and toasted sliced almonds in a small saucepan; and heat, stirring often, until the sugar is dissolved. Don’t cook too long, or you’ll have almond brittle!

Here is my favorite pound cake.

Pound Cake

1 cup butter, softened (DO NOT use oleo/margarine!)
1/2 cup shortening
3 cups sugar
6 eggs
1-1/4 cups heavy cream
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 Tblsp. vanilla extract Cream butter & shortening; gradually add sugar, beating well at medium speed of electric mixer. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine flour and baking powder; add to creamed mixture alternately with cream, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Mix just until blended after each addition. Stir in vanilla extract. Pour batter into a greased and floured 10-inch tube pan. Bake at 325 degrees F. for 1 hour and 40 to 45 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool cake in pan 10 to 15 minutes; remove from pan and cool completely.

Thanks for the compliments on the lemon cake - we love it, too. Here is a new one - I came across a HUGE bag of slivered almonds at Costco just before Christmas, and have made several of these cakes as gifts for neighbors and friends. It is very good served with strawberries in the center and a little whipped cream, but it is good all by itself, too:

GLAZED ALMOND BUNDT CAKE
1 cup butter, softened
2 cups white sugar
4 eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons almond extract
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup ground almonds
½ cup evaporated milk
½ cup crema or sour cream
FOR THE GLAZE:
1/4 cup evaporated milk
3/4 cup white sugar
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 cup toasted sliced almonds (toast in a 350 degree oven for about 5-8 minutes, just until they start to smell really good, and are turning a little bit brown - I use my toaster oven)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Generously butter and flour a 10 inch Bundt pan.
Grind the almonds by placing ½ cup of the flour and ½ cup slivered almonds in a food processor or blender. Whisk together with the remaining 2 cups flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
In a large bowl, cream together the butter and 2 cups sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then incorporate the almond extract and vanilla. Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the crema and evaporated milk, mixing just until incorporated. Pour batter into prepared pan.
Bake in the preheated oven for 50-60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean - don’t overbake! Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes and invert on your serving plate to remove cake from pan..Ladle the glaze over the cake, keeping the almonds on top.

GLAZE: While the cake is baking, combine 1/4 cup evaporated milk, 3/4 cup sugar, 1/2 teaspoon almond extract and toasted sliced almonds in a small saucepan; and heat, stirring often, until the sugar is dissolved. Don’t cook too long, or you’ll have almond brittle!

Oh Karen, that sounds great! I cannot make all these great cakes, or I'm going to turn into one, myself! :rolleyes: but I SO love cake (actually, much more than the frosting)! :pig:

There is a vey moist blueberry poundcake made with cream in Shirley O Corriher's book BakeWise that I am going to make and send to a friend. I will let you know how it goes if you are interested.

Hi Turando, its a heavier denser cake usually. The name comes from the "olden days" when you used a pound of butter, a pound of eggs etc etc to make the cake. They fed a lot of people in those days. LOL.

You can get a taller cake if you start a regular pound cake in a cold oven. EG, not preheating the oven. Not sure if other ingredients hinder that process...

Also, pound cakes are seldom frosted, at least not conventionally. Like ChefJune, I like the cake better than the frosting, so I prefer pound cakes or bundt cakes that might be lightly glazed, but not topped with gooey frosting.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom