ISO Help - Cheesecake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bubatora

Assistant Cook
Hi everyone!
I'm going to prepare the first cheesecake of my life today... help...
does anybody try the recipe with philadelphia? I'm thinking to use melon above... is it a good idea? something fresh ;)
advises?

Hello Bubatora,
Are you making a cooked cheesecake or a cold one set in the fridge?
Also, Although I love melon, it may be a bit too fluid?? It might be better to use pineapple, or passionfruit or peaches for example as your topping

I find mascapone much nicer than philadelphia cream cheese - both in texture and flavour.

The recipe on the package of Philadelphia cream cheese is very basic and needs baking.
Its also good.
I personally do not make cheese cake using the package recipe. My wife does.

I make my own from scratch using Philly cream cheese.
Alton Brown has a good formula for a sour cream cheese cake. You can probably Google it and print it out.
I will look for you.
Its excellent. But needs a bit longer and higher cooking time than what he published.

Here ya go....http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/sour-cream-cheesecake-recipe.html

Last edited:
Here is my recipe for a New York style cheesecake. It's consistently great and gets raves.

Cheesecake

For the Crust:
2⅓ C Graham Cracker Crumbs
(⅔ of a 14-15 Oz. Box, 10 oz.)
¼ C Sugar
½ C Unsalted Butter, melted

For the Filling:
2 Lb Cream Cheese, room temp.
1½ C Sugar
¼ C Flour
5 Ea Eggs
16 Oz Sour Cream
¼ C Milk
1 Tb Vanilla Extract

Position the oven rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 375° F.

Wrap the bottom and sides of a 10-inch spring form pan with heavy-duty foil, crimping it tightly under the top edge of the pan.

Make the Crust:
In a food processor, process the crackers and sugar to a fine crumb.

Add the melted butter and pulse until the crumbs are uniformly moist.

Put the crumb mixture into the pan and distribute it evenly over the bottom and half way up the sides of the pan using a flat-bottomed glass, can or cup with straight sides.

Bake 8-10 minutes. Put the pan on a cooling rack. Leave the oven on.

Make the Filling:
Beat the cream cheese and sugar at high speed until well blended, scraping down the sides of the bowl and beater several times to ensure complete blending.

Mix in the flour. You cannot over mix to this point. The intent is to beat air bubbles into the cheese and sugar mixture.

Add the eggs, one at a time, beating each just until combined before adding the next. Scrape the sides of the bowl as necessary to ensure complete mixing.

Beat in the sour cream, then the milk and vanilla, scraping the sides of the bowl as needed.

Pour the filling into the crust.

Place the foil wrapped spring form pan into a large roasting or sauté pan that is at least an inch larger than the spring form pan on all sides. Pour enough boiling water into the roasting pan to come half way up sides of the springform.

Put the pans into the oven and bake the cheesecake until just set in center and the top is slightly puffed and browned, about 1 hour and 10 minutes.

Turn off oven and keep the door closed. Leave the cake in the oven for 1 hour.

Remove the spring form from the larger pan and cool the cheesecake in the springform on a cooling rack.

Run a thin knife around the pan between the side of the cheesecake and the side of the pan to separate the cake from the side of the pan. Refrigerate uncovered.

When the cheesecake is completely chilled in the refrigerator, cover it with plastic wrap and continue to refrigerate overnight before removing from the pan.

Slice and serve the cheesecake directly from the spring form pan bottom or remove it to a flat rimless plate or cake dish for serving.

To easily remove the cheesecake from the pan bottom, heat the bottom of the cake pan for 10 seconds on a gas or hot electric burner to soften the butter in the crust then slide the cake onto a serving platter using a cake spatula or similar to assist in the transfer.

Slice with a long thin knife dipped in hot water (shake off excess) before each cut.

I love graham crackers as a snack, but I prefer vanilla wafers in place of graham crackers for a cheesecake crust. I have gotten a lot of flack from so many folks because I am not following the traditional recipe.

Also I see pictures of the crust just about an inch up the side of the cheesecake. And other times it is all the way up the whole side. Which do any of you do? I prefer the full crust. Easier to cut and serve. Like the original poster, I sometimes get confused with cheesecakes. :angel:

Addie, I tried vanilla wafers once and didn't care for the texture. I'm OK with GC. I run the crust about half way up the sides and have no problem with slicing or serving at all.

Addie, I tried vanilla wafers once and didn't care for the texture. I'm OK with GC. I run the crust about half way up the sides and have no problem with slicing or serving at all.

Thank you Andy. The recipe I have for my pumpkin cheesecake calls for ginger snaps for the crust. My SIL says that made the whole thing. But then he will sit and eat a whole box of GS in one sitting. :angel:

Last edited:
I believe that the first thing you need to know about cheesecake is that there are many variations. Some of the more famous include Lind'ys Cheesecake, New York Cheesecake, Hollywood Cheesecake. Lindy's, if I recall, has a bit of orange zest added to the custard, while the Hollywood version has a topping of sweetened sour cream, with vanilla. My favorite is New York Cheesecake. I use a 10 inch springform pan for mine, and so have to half-again the recipe. It comes out so very creamy and delicious. It's the only version my eldest son will eat. Here's the recipe, adapted from a cheesecake cookbook I own.

Original New York Cheesecake

Dense, rich, and yummy. This cheesecake is my favorite. My whole family loves it. Here’s the recipe.

Ingrediants:

For the crust:
1 ½ cups Graham Cracker Crumbs
6 tbs. Butter
2 tbs. Sugar

For the Filling:
2 lbs. Cream cheese
¾ cup Sugar
2 large Eggs
1 tsp. Vanilla extract
2 tbs. Cornstarch
1 cup Sour Cream

Preheat the oven to 450’ F.
Combine the crust ingrediants and press into the sides and bottom of a 9-inch springform pan. Place the crust into your freezer for 15 minutes.

Soften the cream cheese in your microwave (Don’t over do it; the cream cheese must be warm, not hot.) and place into a large bowl. Cream in the sugar until everything is smooth. Beat in the remaining ingrediants until all is well blended, smooth and creamy.

Remove the crust from the freezer and pour in the filling. Place in the oven and bake for 10 minutes. Lower the temperature to 200’ F. And bake for an additional 35 minutes. Turn off the heat and crack the oven door. Let the cheesecake cool with the oven for 2 to 3 hours. This will help prevent the custard from cracking.

For a firmer cheesecake, bake at 200’ F. For 45 minutes. My favorite topping on cheesecake is sour cream that has been sweetened with sugar or Sucralose. But you can put virtually any fruit pie filling on top that you want. Cheesecake goes great with apple, pineapple, strawberry, blueberry, cherry, even banana cream. It’s all good.

If you want to get real tricky, line the springform pan with parchment paper and omit the crust. Cook the cheescake, remove the pan sides when all is cool. Then bake your crust. Fill the crust when done with chocolate or maple fudge, or firm fruit-filling and allow to cool. Then place the cheesecake custard on top. You could make this red, white and blue by using strawberries on the bottom, followed by cheesecake, and finally blueberries on top.

Seeeeeeya;Chief Longwind of the North

Woooooow Thanks everybody! !!! I'll try every recipe you have posted! !! Here it is my first new york style cheesecake. .... it seems good...I'll tell you later:p

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Discuss Cooking mobile app

Attachments

• 1403423648324.jpg
    1403423648324.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 256
Back
Top Bottom