ISO help jazzing up cupcakes w/liquor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elreydeflores

Assistant Cook
need to make some amazing cup cakes and so im trying to spice them up with liquor but how do you properly do this?? any help is good

Welcome to DC!

My initial piece of advice on this would be to consider your audience and go slow. Liquor can be overpowering in some things.

You can use liquor in place of a portion of the liquid called for in the recipe. I myself would not go over 1/4 cup.

You can add a tablespoon or two in place of the vanilla as a flavoring. I sometimes use cognac or dark rum with good results.

You could flavor the frosting and stick with the original recipe for the cake.

In a sturdy cake recipe you can make a simple syrup by boiling together 2 part sugar, 1 part liquor and 1 part water. Use this to paint on the cupcakes when they are still warm.

I would test any of these ideas on my poor family before trying them on a larger audience. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Good luck!

I usually make this as a bundt cakes, but I have done cupcakes as well. No frosting is required, simply a dusting of confectioners sugar.

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]RED WINE-CHOCOLATE BUNDT CAKE[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Ingredients:[/FONT]

• [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]2 cups all-purpose flour[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1¼ tsp baking soda[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]½ tsp salt[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]2 sticks unsalted butter, softened[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1¾ cups sugar[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]2 large eggs[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1 tsp pure vanilla extract[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1¼ cups dry red wine[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]½ cup chocolate chips[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Confectioner's sugar, for dusting[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Whipped cream (optional)[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Instructions:[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Preheat the oven to 350°. Spray a 12-cup bundt pan with cooking spray. In a bowl, sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt together.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]In a large bowl, beat the butter with the sugar at medium-high speed until pale yellow and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, and beat until incorporated. Add the vanilla and beat for 2 minutes longer. Fold in the dry ingredients, then add the chocolate chips and the wine.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Pour the batter into the bundt pan and bake for 45 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let the cake cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then turn it out onto a rack and allow it to cool completely. Dust the cake with confectioner's sugar and serve with whipped cream if desired.[/FONT]

Last edited:
There is a cookbook out there called "The Boozy Baker" my friend has it and she has loved everything that she has made from it, it's on my list to check out.

Back
Top Bottom