ISO help making cakes in large quantity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

leasingthisspace

Senior Cook
So if you didn't already know I am a cook in the Army. I'm stationed at Fort Carson, CO. I'm currently assigned to night baking. I am good at "hooking up "box cake mix. I want to become good at cake from scratch. I've grown fond of allrecipes but searching is all over the place. A recipe that's good for a double layer 9 inch round cake may not be so great on a mass scale. So I'm looking for advice or a point in the right direction from anyone that's used a recipe for an amount of 150 or more.
Oh yeah I currently have no scale because it was broken at the culinary competition in VA and my accessory fund is dead right now from getting measuring cups and a new Zester.
Thanks for input.

Could we start with a basic vanilla cake?
What's the name of the book?

Professional Baking by Wayne Gisslen copyright 1985. It is a textbook.

The recipe would make about 15 8-inch layers.

I can PM you the formula for it if you like. The book has everything.

I hope you don't need it in a hurry, I have to head to bed for work in the morning.

What about doing some TX sheet cakes? I have a cookbook (in one of my boxes) from my parents' restaurant re: volume cooking. The question is, which box is it in? uI can't dig it out this weekend, but by the middle of June I should have all the cookbooks on shelves. I know this has recipes for baked goods, as well as other things, geared for restaurants.

The sheet cakes I do would use the batter of 4 store bought boxes of cake mixes. I normally do 4 of those as a small batch.

I need to get a copy of that book, I would read for hours on end!
It is an old book, but when I get unpacked, I'll post the information. I'm surprised that it is one my parents took out of the restaurant when they sold it. And, I somehow ended up with it.

Back
Top Bottom