ISO Help with Angel Food Cake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JMediger

Head Chef
I'm hosting a bridal shower for my best friend in a couple weekends. It's a garden themed party so I'm doing little sandwiches, a lite pasta salad and fresh veggies. I would like to do Angel Food with a variety of fruits for people to choose from and fresh whipped cream for dessert. Here's my dilemma ... The last several Angel Food cakes I've made have fallen out of the pan while hanging and crushed themselves. This is ok when it's just us, it all tastes the same, but for a party, I don't think so.

Has anyone had luck baking the Angel Food off in cupcake liners? How do you "hang" them or do you even need to if they are that small? What about getting them out of the papers?

What about loaf pans? My sister has had luck tipping them on their sides but even that is iffy.

I appreciate any help or suggestions you may have.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Hi JMediger ~
Your menu sounds great! I have made Angel Food cake many times, but I use Betty Crocker Angel Food cake mix. The cake always turns out great -- I follow the directions very carefully. Have you tried this mix or do you make the cake from scratch?

I have never made Angel Food cupcakes and don't know anyone who has. Why don't you make two or three regular size Angel Food cakes and let the bride- to- be cut slices and then, as you suggested, each guest may select their own toppings -- fresh fruit, whipped cream, etc.?

Good Luck! Let us know how everything turns out!

Last edited:
Since the gathering will be friends of the bride, I don't think they would mind if the cake "fell." I only make AF cake from scratch, but that is because I have chickens and an abundant supply of eggs. My grandmother used to turn it over and hang the pan off a Coke bottle...and that's what I do. The top does cave in a bit, but I thought that is what AF did? Instead of cupcakes, what about those mini-Bundt cake pans that have a hole in the center so you could still elevate the individual cakes? I'm just speculating here...

Last edited:
Thank you for the input everyone!

SC, I've always used a box mix.

CWS, a bottle won't fit the neck of my pan so I balance the edges on 4 thin rimmed cups. The problem I'm having is that while the cake hangs there, it actually slips out of the pan.

GG, I like the trifle idea. I'm feeding 30 so not sure one would do it. I could do 3 smaller ones with the different berries I have.

Thank you all again! Other suggestions are also appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom