ISO Japanese Fruit Cake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Songbird, this was my Mom's favorite, so it's an oldie and goodie:

Japanese Fruitcake

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1/2 pound butter
2 cups sugar
4 large eggs
3 cups all-purpose flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup milk -- See directions for other cake and filling ingredients

FILLING
2 1/2 cups sugar
2 whole lemons -- ground or grated entirely
2 cans Southern style coconut
2 cups boiling water

Cream butter and sugar. Add other ingredients in order written, sifting flour and baking powder together. Add flour and milk alternately. Divide batter in two parts. To one part 2 cups ground or finely chopped NUTS. To other half add 1 pound ground or finely chopped RAISINS and 1 teaspoon EACH allspice, cloves, and cinnamon. Bake in 4 greased and floured cake pans, each kind of batter making 2 layers.

FILLING: Add all ingredients in large boiler and cook about 10 minutes. Add 2 heaping tablespoons CORNSTARCH dissolved in small amount of water, stirring constantly until real thick. Remove from heat and place between alternating layers of cake, being sure to cover entire cake.

Let sit out in cool place four or five days uncovered to dry. Then cover and store in refrigerator or cool place until used in another 10 days.

Description:
"Mom's Thanksgiving Cake. Goes well with Ambrosia"
Yield:
"25 slices"

Serving Ideas : This was always served with ambrosia made of sectioned oranges and grapefruit with juices and sweetened coconut in sherbet glasses with a slice of cake on dessert plate beside it. I always begged Mom and Mamie Kate to leave the coconut out of my ambrosia. Sometimes they did.

NOTES : Bake at least 15 days before using.

Need Recipe

KittyinBeautifulSouth:

I also make Ambrosia. It is a family favorite.Thanks for recipe this is a recipe, that we use to have on special occasions, like, Thanksgiving, and Christmas. I lost mine............... :LOL: :D

Songbird

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom