ISO Pineapple Upside Down Cake Recipe from Scratch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
This picture has me drooling for a pineapple upside down cake. If you have a recipe for a PUD cake from scratch, Please post it. It doesn't matter if it's for a cast iron skillet or other pan.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Attachments

• user1153_pic3246_1121990422.jpg
    user1153_pic3246_1121990422.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 7,202
My mother use to make those from scratch. SO good. I've not thought of them in years! I don't have her recipe though.

Aunt Bea, could you post the link?

I have my mother's scratch recipe and should dig it up and make it. If I find it soon, Andy, I will post it!

ahem...

"If you want to make an pineapple upside down cake from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan

I worked in a bakery once where we made pineapple upside down cake and what was called a beehive cake, which was just the pinapple upside down cake with pecans instead of pineapple, and it was wonderful!

This picture has me drooling for a pineapple upside down cake. If you have a recipe for a PUD cake from scratch, Please post it. It doesn't matter if it's for a cast iron skillet or other pan.

Thanks in advance for your help.

That is beautiful, Andy. Now *I* want some!

This was my grandmother's recipe and my Mom used to make it all the time. The cake is very similar to a "Lazy Daisy Cake" and lends itself perfectly to this.

Old Fashioned Pineapple Upside Down Cake

Topping:
3 tbsp butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
4 whole or six 1/2 slices pineapple
Maraschino cherries

Melt butter and put in bottom of an 8" square or round cake pan. Sprinkle with brown sugar. Arrange pineapple with cherries in the centres and set aside while making cake batter.

Cake:
2 eggs
1 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup milk
1 tbsp butter

Beat eggs until thick and add sugar while still beating. Add vanilla. Mix together flour, baking powder and salt, and add to the egg mixture, beating well.

Heat the milk and butter just to boiling and add all at once to the batter, beating well.

Pour cake batter in prepared pan over the topping and bake at 350 for 30 minutes.

Let stand 5 minutes then turn out on plate.

While we are on the subject of pineapple upside down cakes...I can usually make a very tasty cake - I have found the simplest recipe which tastes the best - but I have trouble to get it to look beautiful - the pineapple sometimes sticks to the pan when I turn it upside down. What am I doing wrong? Do I have to make an upside universe before I can get it to turn out well? ;)

While we are on the subject of pineapple upside down cakes...I can usually make a very tasty cake - I have found the simplest recipe which tastes the best - but I have trouble to get it to look beautiful - the pineapple sometimes sticks to the pan when I turn it upside down. What am I doing wrong? Do I have to make an upside universe before I can get it to turn out well? ;)

You have to turn the cake out before it cools and the sugar on the bottom hardens.

My mother, grandmother and mother-in-law all used the one from the Betty Crocker Cookbook. Incidentally, my dad's sister helped to develop the first book.

Well I just made my Mom's recipe for a birthday cake order (she was having a luau themed birthday party) on the weekend. The recipe was a triple batch of the one I posted somewhere in this thread.

It was piped with Chantilly cream and edged with "upside down" candy melt molded pineapples!

Attachments

• LuauBirthday4.jpg
    LuauBirthday4.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 438
Back
Top Bottom