Lazy Daisy Cake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

~emz~

Senior Cook
A delicious cake, it's quite heavy though, almost like a coffee cake, except better!

2 eggs
1 cup sugar
1 cup flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup milk
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 tbsp butter

Beat together the eggs in a large bowl, then dump in sugar, flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir together. 'Nuke the butter, milk and vanilla until completely melted and stir together. Add to the rest of the ingredients. Pour into a 8 by 8 or 9 by 9 cake pan (it doesn't really matter) and bake for about 25 minutes at 350F. I use a convection oven at the same temperature so it only takes a little longer than 20 minutes.

For the frosting (a must have!)
1 1/4 (or more!) cup combined chopped nuts and coconut (Slivered almonds are to die for!)
1/2 cup butter (I use margarine)
1/4 tsp. vanilla
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 tbsp cream (I used 2% milk and it turned out just fine)

While you are heating your butter for the cake, in a saucepan let the butter melt over low heat so when the cake is ready to be popped in the oven you can start on your frosting. When butter is completely melted, add in all ingredients and stir well so that everything is coated. Turn it up to medium heat and stir constantly until heated through. Let it sit, still warm, until the cake is done. Spread onto hot cake and broil it for about 1 or 2 minutes, the top of the icing will be nice and crunchy and the underside nice and mushy! Enjoy!

Same name - different recipes ..

Lazy Daisy Cake
2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 eggs
2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup milk
1/4 cup butter
Icing
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup heavy cream
6 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
1/2 cup flaked coconut
Cake:
Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour a 13x9x2-inch baking pan. Sift together the sifted flour, baking powder and salt, and set aside.
With an electric mixer, beat the eggs at medium-high setting for 4 minutes. Beat in the sugar, gradually, and add the vanilla extract. Beat until incorporated.
In a small saucepan, melt the 1/4 cup butter in the milk. Do not boil.
Turn mixer speed to low and add the sifted flour mixture alternately with the hot milk mixture. Scrape down sides of mixer bowl as needed, and beat until the batter is uniformly smooth. Batter will be thin. Pour batter into prepared pan, and bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick in center of cake comes out clean.
While the cake is baking, mix the icing, but don't start cooking it until the cake is done.
Icing:
Combine brown sugar, cream and butter in a 2-quart saucepan, bring to a boil over medium heat, and boil for two minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat, and stir in pecans and coconut. Spoon icing over hot cake and spread evenly.
Place the cake in broiler 5 to 7 inches from the heat source, and broil 1 to 2 minutes, until icing is bubbly and browned, watching carefully and rotating pan as necessary for even browning. Cool completely on wire rack.

LAZY DAISY CAKE [AU]
1/2 c soft butter
½ packet 3 oz/85 g jelly [jello] crystals (any flavour)
1/2 c sugar
2 eggs
1 ¾ c self raising [rising] Flour 200 g
1/3 cup milk
Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl and stir just till blended.
Now beat 3 minutes on medium speed on electric mixer.
Bake in a loaf tin 35 – 40 minutes.

LAZY DAISY CAKE
1 1/2 c sugar
1/2 c oil
3 eggs
1 c rice or soy or plain milk
2 ts vanilla
1 1/8 c flour
2 ts baking powder
1 ts salt
Beat sugar and oil until smooth. Beat in liquids. Beat in dry ingredients.
Lined 9x13 inch pan. 350oF (175oC) 30 minutes

YUM! This is one of my favorites emz, I used to use pecans for the frosting before one of my kids developed an allergy to them. Sigh, I miss pecans!

On the recipe it just said any nut and we just happened to have slivered almonds. I would think that you could use anything. I didn't want to use the pecans though because then it would have been really similar to german chocolate icing and I was looking for something different.

Back
Top Bottom