Lemon cake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
drizzle some icing on me and call me alix!

that's what i'm going to call this cake. ;) i'm not a baker, but this one i think i can do.

looks great. copied and saved. thanks senora de la norte.

Anytime my friend, hope you enjoy.

I thought you were telling Alix to call you after drizzleing Icing on you.:LOL::LOL:

You clearly know buckytom! :LOL:

The icing I use is like a thin glaze and I heat the rosemary with other ingredients and then pour over the cake.I will see if I can find the recipe.I add about 1/2 teaspoon of finely choppped fresh rosemary.

Thank you for the icing recipe. I do have a TNT Lemon Glaze icing with fresh lemon juice and zest, will simply add a bit of warm water with the infused rosemary to that.:chef:

I'm going to try to find someone who likes to bake to make this. *stares at the other end of the sofa*

My aunt had a lemon cake that was super moist and VERY lemony. I was surprised to find that no one had the recipe. :(

Thanks, Alix. I love all things lemony.

Well this one should fit the bill for you Kathleen, its moist and lemony and yummers. I'm sure SOMEONE would do an amazing job of it. ;)

1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 tsps baking powder
1/2 cup milk
zest of one lemon (2-3tsps)

Cream butter and sugar together, beat eggs in one at a time. Sift 1/2 flour, baking powder into the butter/sugar mixture, stir and pour in 1/4 cup of milk, stir til well blended. Repeat with last 1/2 of dry ingredients and then the rest of the milk. Stir in the zest.

Pour into an 8x8 cake tin, or a round cake tin. Bake for 35 minutes at 350 or until toothpick comes out clean.

1/4 cup sugar
2 tbsp lemon juice

Mix together and pour over warm cake. Turn oven off and let cake sit in oven for about 10 minutes.

finally got lemons, this is on my baking list for tomorrow. :chef:

finally got lemons, this is on my baking list for tomorrow. :chef:

I have 2 small loaf pans. I think I will bake this recipe in them. I may change up the flavor and use Orange or Lime. I wish I still had some Myers Lemons. But my source dried up when my sister-in-law killed her tree.

Score!!!

I got the cake made, fast and easy. I did do the rosemary in the icing trick and it is lightly scented with the rosemary. Queen of all are the Meyer Lemons. (Thanks Kayelle, you have spawned a monster or two) I still have 1/4 cup of lemon juice and two large lemons left!

To serve I put 1 teaspoon of lemon juice on the plate...:ohmy:

28716-albums283-picture2520.jpg

28716-albums283-picture2521.jpg

The last is a graphic picture of an Ogre eating...beware!!! The cake is 100% Shrek Approved and he wants more.

28716-albums283-picture2522.jpg

Love it, Fiona!!

I hope Alix doesn't mind, but I attempted to lighten up the recipe a bit. I left the butter in (unsure of what I would use to replace that...applesauce just didn't seem right). I replaced the 1 cup sugar with 1/2 cup Splenda Baking Blend (recommended on the package). I replaced the eggs with Egg Beaters and used 2% milk. I kept the 1/4 cup of regular sugar for the glaze as I wasn't sure the Splenda would give a good result. I ran the recipes through an online recipe analyzer. Original has 296 cal. and 11.7 g fat. My version has 248 cal. and 11.2 g fat. So....I didn't shave all that much off of it, but I felt better eating less calories and it tastes AWESOME! What a light, tart taste it has.

Thanks for the recipe and inspiration!!

I got the cake made, fast and easy. I did do the rosemary in the icing trick and it is lightly scented with the rosemary. Queen of all are the Meyer Lemons. (Thanks Kayelle, you have spawned a monster or two) I still have 1/4 cup of lemon juice and two large lemons left!

To serve I put 1 teaspoon of lemon juice on the plate...:ohmy:

28716-albums283-picture2520.jpg

28716-albums283-picture2521.jpg

The last is a graphic picture of an Ogre eating...beware!!! The cake is 100% Shrek Approved and he wants more.

28716-albums283-picture2522.jpg

Oh my that looks tasty!!!

Score!!!

To serve I put 1 teaspoon of lemon juice on the plate..

Makes me really happy PF, that my Meyer's found a good home. ;)
Told you they are just loaded with juice!! You still have more than enough to make those outrageous Lemon Bars before the Dr. tells you that you can't have them. :LOL:
Save a little juice to put on that healthy broiled fish after you see the Doctor. :angel:

Makes me really happy PF, that my Meyer's found a good home. ;)
Told you they are just loaded with juice!! You still have more than enough to make those outrageous Lemon Bars before the Dr. tells you that you can't have them. :LOL:
Save a little juice to put on that healthy broiled fish after you see the Doctor. :angel:

It's all I can do to not just munch into them, they are so tasty!

The icing I use is like a thin glaze and I heat the rosemary with other ingredients and then pour over the cake.I will see if I can find the recipe.I add about 1/2 teaspoon of finely choppped fresh rosemary.

Clear Glaze
Makes appox. half cup

1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
1 tablespoon light corn syrup

In heavy saucepan, bring all . to a rapid boil. Remove from heat
and let cool.

or

1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch (corn flour)
1 cup fruit juice (optional flavoring) ****
2 tablespoons corn syrup

Bring the sugar and 1/2 cup juice to a boil.
Dissolve the cornstarch in the remaining juice. Add to the boiling juice and
cook till thick.
Stir in the corn syrup. Bring back to a boil and remove from heat.
cool and drizzle over cake.
I want to try this but I can't get fresh rosemary here. Would it be absolutely horrible with dried rosemary? And if dried will work, is there anything I should do differently?

I want to try this but I can't get fresh rosemary here. Would it be absolutely horrible with dried rosemary? And if dried will work, is there anything I should do differently?

I would simmer the rosemary in the water before adding the sugar.

Inspired by PF's tasty looking pics and my success with the bread, I gave this one a shot today.

We're lemon-heads, too, so the super lemony-ness was a huge bonus. The cake is delicious. I decided to try the glaze with the rosemary that 4meandthem posted. And I used my bundt pan for the cake. My only bundt pan is a bit large so next time I make this I'll probably double the cake recipe to make a taller cake, but it didn't affect the taste at all!

I'm not convinced I did the glaze correctly as it took twice as much cornstarch to get it to thicken up and I wasn't sure how thick it was supposed to be. Also since I was using fresh squeezed lemons the glaze was super tart, so I added more sugar and an add'l tablespoon of corn syrup. Net result is that I have glaze left over (since my cake is a little smaller). But that's fine, I just saved it to drizzle over the slices after they've been cut.

Here was the final product:

img_966603_0_479819496d9341dbab7430a2bcbb3b3d.jpg

img_966603_1_564cb3fd82a7927111699e7a8fc9f92b.jpg

The lemons I get here are pretty small, so I ended up using 3 lemons worth for the zest and it took 6 squeezed lemons to make the cup of juice for the glaze.

Last edited:
Annie Drews, I don't mind a bit, do what you wish with the recipe. We eat it at full caloric strength here as my motto is "if you're going to sin...SIN"

cmarchibald, I can't comment on the rosemary glaze, but the idea with my glaze is to let it sink into the warm cake. If I were doing that glaze I think I'd poke a ton of holes in the cake and let it sink in that way.

PF, mmmmm meyer lemons you lucky girl! Bet they were delicious! You going to do the lemon bars now too?

Back
Top Bottom