Lemon Sour Cream Poundcake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh gosh, AMSeccia, I wish I were as disciplined as you! Problem with me is, when I want cake, I eat cake. Or brownies. Or maybe some cookies. Or a chocolate bar. Now I'm hungry too..................

I don't deserve those kind words. I have very little discipline, which is HOW I GOT THIS WAY! I'm just tired of hating the way I look and not having energy. So I am slowly trying to make better decisions. Not easy, since I adore bread, potatoes, sweets, all the things we shouldn't overindulge in. :)

Alix, here is the recipe for the cake. I have had it for a long time, and it is actually a combination of recipes that I kept testing until I was happy with it. It is a really good cake - tender crumb, lovely flavor, beautiful exterior. It would be especially good with fresh berries. I hope you enjoy it.

LEMON SOUR CREAM POUNDCAKE

Heat oven to 325F
Grease and flour a 10 inch tube or bundt pan

INGREDIENTS:
3 cups all purpose flour
½ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
Zest or grated rind from two lemons

I cup unsalted butter, room temp
3 cups granulated sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
6 eggs, room temperature
1 cup sour cream, room temp

PROCESS:
Whisk together the dry ingredients, including the lemon zest
In your mixer bowl, cream the butter and sugar for three minutes, then add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
Add vanilla.
Add the dry ingredients and sour cream alternately, starting with 1/3 of the flour mixture, followed by ½ sour cream, etc., ending with flour mixture. Beat until smooth, scraping sides of bowl often.

Bake at 325F in a greased and floured 10-inch tube/bundt pan for about an hour and a quarter, or until cake tests done. While cake is baking, make GLAZE by combining one cup freshly squeezed lemon juice, zest of one lemon, ¼ cup water and 2/3 cup sugar. Bring to a boil and simmer until it is reduced to about ½ cup. Set aside to cool a bit.

When cake tests done, let it rest in the pan for about 10 minutes, then brush ½ of the glaze on the cake. Turn onto rack and brush remaining syrup on cake.

YUM! :chef: We poke holes in the cake while it is still warm and in the pan, and pour the glaze over. Try that sometime!

I made the cake yesterday~
As I was putting the batter into the bundt pan, I noticed it was the same color as my kitchen walls :)
The flavor was wonderful - very lemony - and best of all, even though the meyer season is over, I had a couple crazy ones left on the tree that had just gotten ripe. I poked lots of holes in the bottom with the cake tester and then carefully spooned the syrup over, and then let it sit about 15 minutes before I turned it out onto the serving plate. Then I did the same on top and brushed it on.
It was heavenly! The boys adored it, and dh, who doesn't usually like sweets, asked for a piece and then commented on how good it was!
Had more today - and it looks like it'll be gone after dinner.

Thanks for the spectacular yum!

(*also, it took about 10 or so minutes longer to cook)

Last night I was craving more of this delicious treat, so I sliced two thin pieces and put a bit of lemon curd between them. It was amazing!
We're down to one little piece now... :(

I've already passed this recipe on to two people who are eager to try it, so again thank you!

I would bake again, but it's supposed to be at least 105 again today, so no oven for me!

Last night I was craving more of this delicious treat, so I sliced two thin pieces and put a bit of lemon curd between them. It was amazing!
We're down to one little piece now... :(

I've already passed this recipe on to two people who are eager to try it, so again thank you!

I would bake again, but it's supposed to be at least 105 again today, so no oven for me!

it is the pits jkath, same here. i am craving cinnamon rolls. found a recipe for 90 min. cinnamon rolls and am dying to try it. maybe i will do in the early evening, when it is a little cooler. babe

Too hot to bake here, as well. We have ONE cinnamon roll left from yesterday.....knowing DH, he will snack on half, then I'll cut that half in half, then he'll cut that half in half.....eventually, there will just be a little crumb.

That cinnamon roll rec looks soooooo good! And, how nice to have photos too!

I just ate the last piece of the lemon cake...heh heh....before anyone could get to it!
I'll be making ice cream later on today anyway, so they can have that for their sweets.

Those cinnamon rolls are the absolute BEST and easiest I've ever made. Take about a half hour-45 minutes tonight to get them ready and then wake up in the morning and put them in the oven. Oh gosh...I may have to make more tonight. DH just gobbled up the last one.

Yes. I too printed this and the 90 minute cinnamon roll recipes.
It's (almost) too hot here to bake, but if I do both at the same time I can convince myself I'm being sensible.
Then, as I'm eating, I'll be smiling as I'm sweating.:LOL:

Thanks for the recipes.

Back
Top Bottom