Lemon Sour Cream Poundcake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MexicoKaren

Head Chef
Alix, here is the recipe for the cake. I have had it for a long time, and it is actually a combination of recipes that I kept testing until I was happy with it. It is a really good cake - tender crumb, lovely flavor, beautiful exterior. It would be especially good with fresh berries. I hope you enjoy it.

LEMON SOUR CREAM POUNDCAKE

Heat oven to 325F
Grease and flour a 10 inch tube or bundt pan

INGREDIENTS:
3 cups all purpose flour
½ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
Zest or grated rind from two lemons

I cup unsalted butter, room temp
3 cups granulated sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
6 eggs, room temperature
1 cup sour cream, room temp

PROCESS:
Whisk together the dry ingredients, including the lemon zest
In your mixer bowl, cream the butter and sugar for three minutes, then add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
Add vanilla.
Add the dry ingredients and sour cream alternately, starting with 1/3 of the flour mixture, followed by ½ sour cream, etc., ending with flour mixture. Beat until smooth, scraping sides of bowl often.

Bake at 325F in a greased and floured 10-inch tube/bundt pan for about an hour and a quarter, or until cake tests done. While cake is baking, make GLAZE by combining one cup freshly squeezed lemon juice, zest of one lemon, ¼ cup water and 2/3 cup sugar. Bring to a boil and simmer until it is reduced to about ½ cup. Set aside to cool a bit.

When cake tests done, let it rest in the pan for about 10 minutes, then brush ½ of the glaze on the cake. Turn onto rack and brush remaining syrup on cake.

Thanks so much Karen. Its on my list for this week. I may end up taking it to a party on the weekend.

:) Oh baby I love a good lemon pound cake recipe.I will have to try it when I get a chance. The more lemon the better.

there goes what's left of my diet ... this looks fantastic and I think I will really enjoy with a nice cup of tea. Thanks for sharing!

Hi guys and gals, I'm not familiar with the tin you're on about, can you suggest an alternative, please. I definitely can't get atube/bundt pan here. I'd appreciate any advice, thanks.

Lemon Sour Cream Pound Cake

Just me, I guess. If you guys need some motivation, here is a picture of the last one I made:

2494086462_8cd0b22a87.jpg

It is really good...........we were going to give some of it away, but just gobbled it all up!

I finally made Karen's recipe and it is delicious!

I took a picture of my cake, since Karen's photo disappeared.

This would be an excellent recipe for jkath's Meyer lemons!

Lee

P.S. See what I mean about close-ups, Jeekins? And I DID turn on the "tulip" thing on my camera.

[/

I hope to find some lemons tomorrow so I can make the cake for my kids while they're visiting. Yellow lemons are hard to find, so I may end up making the cake with the ever-present wonderful limes we have here. Or oranges. Or a mixture of the two. I think that might be yummy - I'll let you know.

I think the lime is highly under-rated and often over shadowed by the lemon, I say go for it and make a lime cake!

Everytime I see this thread I have to remind myself that weight loss is the goal ... NO FAIR posting pictures. Now I want cake!

Back
Top Bottom