Lemon Upside Down Cake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kayelle

Chef Extraordinaire
This recipe is from my neighbor. I made it today with my Meyer lemons and it is delicious... see the missing piece?
For all you lemon lovers.....

Butter a 8 in. cake pan, and lay thin lemon slices in the bottom of the pan

Lemon Sauce:
1 cup sugar
2 1/2 Tbs. cornstarch
1/4 tsp. salt
1 1/2 Cups boiling water
3 Tbs. butter
1 Tbs or more, lemon zest
3 Tbs. lemon juice

Mix sugar, cornstarch and salt together. Gradually add water and stir with a wisk. Boil 5 min. stiring often. Add butter, juice and zest. Set aside

Cake:
1/4 cup softened butter
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg, beaten
1 1/2 cup flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup milk
1 Tbs. lemon zest
thin slices of lemon

With an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar, add egg and beat till light and fluffy. Add lemon zest.
Sift dry ingredients, and add alternately with the milk. Batter will be stiff.

Pour enough of the lemon sauce on top of the lemon slices to cover them, reserving the remainder.

Spoon clumps of the batter all over the surface, being careful to keep the lemon slices in place. Bake at 375 degrees for 30-35 minutes. Cool for about 15 minutes and lay a plate on top of the pan and flip over. Pour more sauce on the top and use the rest for plating.
img_978457_0_f67d428c85b04a3bce7d85d698dae619.jpg

I have a fridge full of regular lemmons. I have never even see Meyer lemons in stores around here. And most of our stores are Meijer stores. Sorry, just being punny. I would love to get my hands on some Meyer lemons. Can you ship me some;) ?

JF, you're not likely to see Meyer lemons in stores as they don't ship well, although I hear that Trader Joe's had some packed in plastic cartons of four. This recipe would be just fine with regular lemons, although you might might increase the sugar a little.

As Paula Deen would say, "I'm swallowin' just looking at that cake!" Read: My mouth is watering just looking at the picture.:chef:

Stone me Kay I could eat two of those, so satan 2 you can also get behind me.
Ps do you serve it with custard, just a simple yes or no please as I'm on the edge of a diet meltdown.

Back
Top Bottom