Light but rich sponge/butter hybrid cake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tekkyy

Assistant Cook
In my experimentating of making a light but rich butter cake I ended up with this sponge/butter "hybrid" cake. It is not a butter cake with eggs (which is rich but heavy). It is not a sponge cake with butter (which is light but not rich). It was actually both. The result was superb.

After the sucessful attempt I've failed FOUR times
icon_sad.gif
afterwards and haven't been able to reproduce.

My question is a technical difficulty on mixing peaked-egg and creamed-butter mixture evenly and not destroying bubbles.

This is a long post but I hope you can help.

INGREDIENTS

4 eggs

1/2 cup corn flour

4oz butter

1/2 cup caster sugar

1/3 cup milk

1/2 cup self raising flour

METHOD

1. Beat eggs to peak. Fold in sifted corn flour.

2. Beat butter, adding sugar slowly. Add sifted self raising flour slowly, alternate with spoons of milk when dry.

3. Slow beat together egg and butter texture.

4. Bake at 150 degrees for 60 mins.

The resulting batter was pale, light but thick and unpourable. The cake was light yet moist and rich.

On the first two failures the batter was inconsistent and runny. Seems to be spots of butter with liquidy collapsed eggs. The resulting cake was saturated and uncooked.

On the third failure I melted the butter and folded the butter mixture with the egg mixture. The batter didn't lose as much volume but is still not as light as the sucessful attempt and not as thick (still runny). During baking I see the egg whites raise to the top. The resulting cake was light on top half, heavy and uncooked on the buttom half.

On the fourth failure I also melted the butter like in third failure. To ensure even mixing of the two mixtures I beat them together. The eggs collapsed. The batter looked deep buttery liquid colour not pale. The cake was heavy and barely cooked.

Any ideas on this strange technicial difficulty?

I am helpless as I look on the web, as this is an very strange method. Folding melted butter into fluffy egg mixture is the usual way but that would produce a sponge cake. Furthermore it would not produce the resulting batter in my sucessful attempt as fluffy eggs mixture itself is pourable and mixing liquid into it does not help.

I am confused and have no ideas. Looking back it seems the sucessful attempt (2 weeks ago now) is like a miracle. How did I mix a creamed butter mixture into the fluffy egg mixture to result in a batter that is smooth, pale, light, thick and not pourable? Somehow the bubbles in both the butter and eggs remained?

Both the butter and eggs were at room tempearture on the sucessful attempt.

Back
Top Bottom