Looking for a recipe!!!! Please read!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nanna2five

Assistant Cook
Hi, I am new here and hoping I can get a little help.

The recipe I am looking for my Mother made me for my birthdays. I had her cookbook it was in but lost it in a hurricane flood. I am missing her and would love to be able to make the cake. It reminds me so much of her!

I am almost positive it is in the 1963 Good Housekeeping cookbook

The name we called it is Orange Raisin cake. But that may not be the recipe name. She always called things different than they were normally called LOL

In the recipe you would juice oranges then take the juiced oranges and grind them up along with raisins in a food grinder, the juice was made into a syrup with sugar & maybe almond extract, that was poured over the baked cake; also it was baked in a bundt pan.

I would be more than grateful if someone could help me find this!!!

Thank you so much!
Donna

I have the 1963 edition of that cookbook, and it's listed as Buttery Orange-Raisin Cake.

I'll type it up and post it here later today.

Buttery Orange-Raisin Cake

4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
juice from 2 medium oranges; reserve rinds
2 1/2 cups sugar
1/4 tsp almond extract
2 cups raisins
1 1/2 cup milk
2 tlbs vinegar
1 cup soft butter
4 eggs

Preheat oven to 350F.

Grease a 3 quart bundt pan (they specify cast aluminum, don't know if that matters).

Sift together flour, baking powder, soda & salt.

Combine 1/2 cup strained orange juice with 1/2 cup sugar. Mix until sugar is dissolved. Add almond extract. Refrigerate.

Using fine blade of food grinder, and being careful not to have long 'strings' of raisins, grind reserved orange rind with raisins alternately. Set aside.

Combine milk and vinegar.

In a large bowl, with electric mixer at high speed, cream butter. Gradually beat in 2 cups of sugar.

At medium speed, add eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition.

At medium speed, beat in alternately, just until smooth, flour mixture in fourths and milk mixture in thirds.

Pour in orange-raisin mixture in small amounts, until thoroughly blended.

Pour batter into prepared pan.

Bake 60-70 minutes. Test for doneness as in step 10, page 620. (LOL - that's an entire paragraph describing the toothpick test.) Remove pan from oven.

Turn off heat. Spoon 6 tablespoons reserved orange syrup over top and between cake and sided of pans.

Return cake to turned off oven for 1 hour.

With small spatula, loosen cake from pan. Invert on cake plate to cool.

Serve warm or cold with extra syrup for sauce.

Last edited:
OMGGGGGGGGGGGG This is it!!! Thank you so so so much!!!!!

Buttery Orange-Raisin Cake

4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
juice from 2 medium oranges; reserve rinds
2 1/2 cups sugar
1/4 tsp almond extract
2 cups raisins
1 1/2 cup milk
2 tlbs vinegar
1 cup soft butter
4 eggs

Preheat oven to 350F.

Grease a 3 quart bundt pan (they specify cast aluminum, don't know if that matters).

Sift together flour, baking powder, soda & salt.

Combine 1/2 cup strained orange juice with 1/2 cup sugar. Mix until sugar is dissolved. Add almond extract. Refrigerate.

Using fine blade of food grinder, and being careful not to have long 'strings' of raisins, grind reserved orange rind with raisins alternately. Set aside.

Combine milk and vinegar.

In a large bowl, with electric mixer at high speed, cream butter. Gradually beat in 2 cups of sugar.

At medium speed, add eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition.

At medium speed, beat in alternately, just until smooth, flour mixture in fourths and milk mixture in thirds.

Pour in orange-raisin mixture in small amounts, until thoroughly blended.

Pour batter into prepared pan.

Bake 60-70 minutes. Test for doneness as in step 10, page 620. (LOL - that's an entire paragraph describing the toothpick test.) Remove pan from oven.

Turn off heat. Spoon 6 tablespoons reserved orange syrup over top and between cake and sided of pans.

Return cake to turned off oven for 1 hour.

With small spatula, loosen cake from pan. Invert on cake plate to cool.

Serve warm or cold with extra syrup for sauce.

You all are so amazing!!! I am crying I wanted this so badly!!!! Thank you so so much!

Wish we could all try it with you! Oh wait...I guess we could if we made it too!

Back
Top Bottom