Macaroons

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gravy Queen

Head Chef
My first attempt at macaroons, I wanted to try them as they don't use flour and so are gluten free.

The filling was lovely too - mascarpone with a little icing sugar and fresh raspberry puree so it wasnt too sweet.

Join me for afternoon tea anyone? :)

Attachments

• Macaroons.jpg
    Macaroons.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 305
@ Gravy Queen,

Very vanguardista ! These are showing up in bakeries all over the Madrid Capital, in thousands of rainbow color combinations. Lovely Lovely and thanks for posting.

Please note: language wise, we have so many false friends dwelling in the translation from Latin langs to English ... Macaroons are coconut pasty palm size pastries ... and these Mascarpone sandwich cookies, I believe are Macarons in English and French --- I have to check, and if incorrect I shall send another note asap.

SEE MY POST TRANSLATING BELOW IN ALL THE LATIN LANGS.

Kindest.
Margi.

Margi.

Last edited:
@ Gravy Queen,

Language Issue Solved:

In English: Macaroon = a pastry cookie made with coconut
In English and French: Macaron = made with almond - sandwich cookie
In French: Gâteau = made with almond
In Italian: amaretto = Macaron sandwich cookie made with almond
In Spanish: Macarrón = Macaron sandwich cookie made with almond

Have a nice day,
Margi Cintrano.

Thank you Margi. Yes I would know these as french macarons. Like you say, they are very popular right now and such pretty colours available (must master the art of the colours!). The recipe I used did refer to them as macaroons which I would think of as flat and coconutty.

Vive Le Macaron!

Last edited:
@ Gravy Queen: Thanks for your note.

Gravy Queen,

Macarons would be the correct culinary term for the sandwich filled cookie shown in your lovely photo.

I receive media relations on uncountable gastronomic topics, and I had received a whole selection of flavors on these macarons ... I shall post it for you ...

Yes, I agree with Tax Lady: would you be so kind to post a quick recipe as they truly are gorgeous ! ( when time permits )

Thanks alot.

Margi.

Gravy Queen: Macarones - www.wikipedia.com

Gravy Queen,

The wikipedia.com under Macarones has a stunner set of rainbow colors and beyond and De Medici´s Italian Chef who invented the Macaron.

The macaroon, has a separate page in the wikipedia.

The lime green is green tea, the coral is stunning, the salmon color is also lovely, the mocha with chocolate ... All very nice ... :chef::yum:

Have nice evening.
Margi

Thank you Margi. Yes I would know these as french macarons. Like you say, they are very popular right now and such pretty colours available (must master the art of the colours!). The recipe I used did refer to them as macaroons which I would think of as flat and coconutty.

Vive Le Macaron!
The best place to learn about coloring foods is the Wilton site. How To Color Icing They have the best gels for coloring foods and are food safe. I use them all the time. :yum:

Splendid job Gravitas and presented with cutting edge flair;)
I think they would look fabbo with the addition of a fresh raspberry sitting on the top:yum:

Thanks again Margi and also to Addie, I intend to pimp them up next time with some fancy colours.

And maybe a fresh raspberry.........thanks Bonio

Last edited:
Recipe as requested (is this the right place if not please let me know)

Vanilla Macarons with Raspberry Filling
Recipe by Galton Blackiston - "Summertime" book

For the macarons:
175g (6oz) icing sugar
75g (3oz) ground almonds
75g (3oz) egg whites
half teaspoon vanilla extract
25g (1oz) castor sugar

For the raspberry filling:
250g tub mascarpone cheese
1 tablespoon icing sugar
2 drops vanilla extract
5 tablespoons raspberry puree (made from fresh raspberries pushed through a sieve)

1. To make the macarons, line a baking sheet with good quality greaseproof paper and set aside. Sift the icing sugar and almonds into a bowl. Place the egg whites into the bowl of an electric food mixer and whisk until they form stiff peaks. Whisk the vanilla extract into the egg whites, then gradually whisk in the castor sugar and continue to whisk until stiff and glossy.

2. Fold in the almonds and icing sugar gently until the mixture is smooth. Put the mixture in a piping bag fitted with a plain 5mm nozzle and pipe the macarons of the required size onto the greaseproof paper. Leave to rest for 10 -15 minutes to allow the surfact to become dry.

3. Pre heat the oven to 150 c/300f/Gas Mark 2

4. Bake for about 25 minutes (depending on size) - the macarons are done when you can lift them off the baking sheet. Remove from the oven and leave to cool on the baking sheet.

5. While the macarons are in the oven, make the raspberry filling by mixing all the ingredients together thoroughly, adding a little more icing sugar or raspberry puree to taste.

6. When the macarons are completely cold, sandwich them together with the filling.

*GQ note - I found that smaller ones worked best *

@ Gravy Queen,

I am writing to let you know, thanks for submitting the lovely recipe ... I had shown "the Vet", the macaron sandwich cookies, and he is all geared up to taste test !!

Thanks dear.
Margi.

@ GQ,

Ha. Ha.

I believe it is fabulous ... Pistachio is one of my favorite flavors ...

I am sure they shall be successful ... Have you taken a look at the website that Addie recommended on " FOOD COLORING " yet ?

I plan to do this tomorrow.

Margi.

As long as they do not have coconut they look yum. I hate coconut macaroons.

P.S. for us living in the States, what is castor sugar and what is icing sugar?

Last edited:
No these have ground almonds in Charlie. No coconut.

Um not sure about castor sugar but it is finer than ordinary granulated sugar -is it superfine sugar?. I think icing sugar might be known as confectioners sugar? Its powdery white stuff.

Sorry, I should have looked up the equivalents for you first. :)

@ Charlie: MACARON & MACAROON

Good Morning Charlie,

Please take a moment to read the beginning of the thread, where I translate this " false friend " term Macaroon, which is REALLY MACARON, employing the French term.

MACAROON = a coconut pasty pastry, the size of one´s palm and appears like a brown hairy cookie that is very soft and pasty

MACARON = a sandwhich cookie made of almond flour and filled with all sorts of fillings and made in a rainbow array of colors

Thanks for post.
Margi.

Good Morning Lyndalou,

Gravy Queen stated in her post where she lists the ingredients:

300 degrees farenheit, 150 degrees centigrade ... Best to ask her as she lives in the U.K. so, she has used a Gas Mark --- verses exact degrees for farenheit.

Send her a PM.

Have nice wkend,
Margi.

Back
Top Bottom