Making a cake or pie with fruit juices?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jpinmaryland

Sous Chef
got some extra pineapple and some pear juice. I wanted to make somethign w/o the fruit chunks but with the juice alone. Using sugar, flour, milk etc of course. You know I thought there was like broken glass cake or something like that out there but I didnt find it in a quick search. Can you make like a flan or somethign out of these? tx

Hmmm, I think it might be tough to do with pineapple juice. I would maybe look at adding it to a cake instead of water.

Bake a sheet cake....poke holes in cake...pour in a mixture of Rum and pineapple juice...Ice with 10X sugar icing....use pineapple juice and rum to make icing....Top with fresh toasted coconut!

Fun!

Holy crap, pina colada cake! I have the perfect cake for that too! Its a white velvet cake and its nice and dense and durable. MMMMMMMMM! UB, you're my hero.

Could I not do like the recipe for Key Lime pie and just use like pineapple juice?

Is there a recipe for broken glass cake? What about like Zabaglione, that stuff from Italy?

Hmm. The possibilities, I made pumpkin cheesecake last night, its pretty good.

The recipe I use for Zabiglione is usually...

1 cup sugar (this is a lot -- it sweetens some mascarpone, though)
5 egg yolks
1/2 cup Marsala wine

Whisk all together over a double boiler/on very low heat until fluffy, etc... (those instructions aren't very detailed -- you can probably find better ones.

You could definitely sub the juice for the wine, just reduce the sugar. You could then drizzle over berries and chill, or you could fold in whipped cream and just have that. Sounds good!

Tim

How do you make the Key Lime pie?

Key lime pie is made with key lime juice, and zest, eggs, sugar, and a pie crust. It's basically a baked custard in a crust. It's similar to lemon curd, but stiffer.

Pear, pineapple, apple, jsut about any fruit juice would work, I think. However, if you used orange juice, it would have to be pulp-free. Just remember to make the liquid strong as it will be diluted by the egg.

Yes, and fruit juices are wonderful when mixed with unflavored gelatine, and then poured over a cake and chilled. Surprisingly, the gelatine won't set, but adds its fruity flavor and exceptional moisture to the cake. The cake must be chilled for a couple hours before serving. Hint: This also works with crushed fruit that's been blended with sugar.

Another idea you can use is to use the fruit juice to mix with crustless bread, or pound or short cake to make a pudding. The mixture must be wet enough to soften the bread, but not so much so as to make it liquid.

Just a few ideas for you from ol' G.W.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I would up making the pineaple juice in the fashion of key lime pie and it worked out reasonably well for a first time. I used sweetened condensed milk instead of plain sugar in the above recipe.

Is there a recipe for broken glass cake?
Broken Glass Cake
1 1/2 c Graham cracker crumbs
1/3 c Butter or margarine; melted
1 pk Orange gelatin (3 oz size)
1 pk Cherry gelatin (3 oz size)
1 pk Lime gelatin (3 oz size)
3 c Boiling water
2 c Cold water
1 c Pineapple juice
1/4 c Sugar
1 pk Lemon gelatin (3 oz size)
2 c Whipping cream
1. Put a Graham Cracker Crust in the bottom of a 9" Springform Pan
2. Prepare orange gelatin with 1C boiling water and 1/2 C cold water. Chill and cut into 1/2" cubes. Do the same with the lime and the cherry gelatins.
3. Heat and dissolve the Pineapple juice and sugar together. Remove from heat and stir in the lemon gelatin until dissolved. Chill. Fold in whipped cream.
4. Combine the gelatin cubes with the whipped cream mixture and pour over the graham cracker crust.
5. Chill 5 hours and then remove from pan.
LPBeier...sorry, I was working on this when you posted and I didn't see you there. :)

Attachments

• cake broken glass.jpg
    cake broken glass.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 53
No problem, Mollyanne! I took the lazy person's way out with a link! And your picture looks nicer than the one on my link!

They both look really cool and retro!! Sadly I will not make it as my wife hates jello.

Oh thanks for that recipe I was in the back of my mind but I never got around to searching for it. I go through a lot of juice as my dad and daughter both love eating canned pineapples, oranges etc. It's easy for me as a single parent/elder, maybe not the best. Anyhow something to do with the excess. tx.

I wound up making the pineapple with the key lime recipe. It turned out pretty good I think there is sort of an aftertaste with pineapple from the can that I can taste although I dont think my daughter noticed (she's never had the real fresh stuff which I had in Hawaii). I was wondering how you would go about covering that up? LIke with more sugar or more spices? Or something else like cream?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom