Making a huge pound cake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nursebrown

Assistant Cook
Hello all,
I am a new member who enjoy baking and cooking. Recently I purchased a 11 1/2x6 cake pan to make large pound cakes. Do I double my cooking time?

Welcome, nursebrown :)
I would keep an eye on your cake after the initial time, and then once it starts looking a little golden on top, use a cake tester or toothpick to check on it every 5 minutes or so.

Sorry there aren't more answers yet - most of our members "take the weekend off" - but during the week days there's a ton of chatter here.

Welcome to DC, Nursebrown! This is a friendly and welcoming place where you can learn alot. I have a pound cake recipe that is my very very favorite, but I would be reluctant to bake it in a pan that large - I bake it in a tube pan, so that it cooks evenly throughout. With a pan that big, I would worry that the center would never get done - or when it did, the edges would be very dry. I could be wrong - I hope others who are more expert at baking than I will weigh in on this. If you go ahead and try it, be sure to let us know how it turns out.

You shouldn't have to double your baking time. As jkath mentioned check it after baking the regular time. If the sides get overly done, before the middle...just lower your oven temperature by about 25 degrees next time.

Huge Pound Cake

Thanks for all of the advice. I will tackle this monster and let you know how I come out. I love swapping cake and pie recipes.

Back
Top Bottom