Making Vanilla

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Doesn't the alcohol evaporate when baking?

A little bit, but it is still in there. But, like I said, the amount of extract used in baking is WAY too small to worry about. I probably shouldn't have even mentioned it.

CD

Last edited:
...BTW, you are not going to find this kind of extract in a store, unless it is licensed to sell liquor, and they sell it as liquor...

According to WIKI, in the US, vanilla extract has to be 35% alcohol in order to be labeled "pure". That's 70 proof.

Vanilla extract is specifically excluded from liquor laws.

nuzzmark, according to Serious Eats, it isn't worth the money to use the good, pricey vanilla when baking. Use imitation for whenever your vanilla will be cooked, and save the good stuff for when it isn't. The Serious Eats taste test is here: Is Better Vanilla Extract Worth the Price?

I know we've had the imitation/real vanilla discussion here at DC before, but danged if I can find the link. :wacko: Maybe someone with better search skillz will locate and post it. Meanwhile, we can use this opportunity for another lively discussion. :LOL:

Very interesting article! I don’t use vanilla that often, probably only if I’m following a recipe that calls for it. Adding vanilla extract to my milkshakes would be redundant, as I use vanilla ice cream for all my shakes (even chocolate shakes: vanilla ice cream and about a quart of chocolate syrup, lol. But seriously, I’d pit my black-and-whites against anyone’s chocolate shake), and I prefer to flavor them with flavored syrups. Lately I’ve been liking coconut (of course), English toffee, and salted caramel. When I want a bit almond, I use extract.

The vanilla extract I have in my cupboard isn’t very old. It’s the store brand, and there was an in-house coupon for $2 off, so it wasn’t too dear.

But I’m shocked, shocked, I tell you! Liquor in an ingredient that’s used in children’s birthday cakes! Scandalous!

...But I’m shocked, shocked, I tell you! Liquor in an ingredient that’s used in children’s birthday cakes! Scandalous!
That WAS posted in jest, right, Joel? :LOL: That's modern thinking. Back when I was a kid (1950s) and when our kids were teething (early 1980s), a bit of whisky rubbed on the sore gum was a perfectly acceptable way to sooth teething.

That WAS posted in jest, right, Joel? [emoji38] That's modern thinking. Back when I was a kid (1950s) and when our kids were teething (early 1980s), a bit of whisky rubbed on the sore gum was a perfectly acceptable way to sooth teething.
Yeah, I hope so. The miniscule amount of liquor in the vanilla extract used in baked goods is hardly worth remarking on, much less worrying about.

That WAS posted in jest, right, Joel? :LOL: That's modern thinking. Back when I was a kid (1950s) and when our kids were teething (early 1980s), a bit of whisky rubbed on the sore gum was a perfectly acceptable way to sooth teething.
Of course it was in jest! And my mom favored tequila, for some odd reason. She wasn’t a drinker at all; one glass of champagne on NYE, and she’d get giddy. I do remember her tossing down Tom Collins while playing Canasta with their friends on a beach in Newport Beach!

According to WIKI, in the US, vanilla extract has to be 35% alcohol in order to be labeled "pure". That's 70 proof.

Vanilla extract is specifically excluded from liquor laws.

You obviously don't live in the bible-belt, like I do. :rolleyes:

You can't buy the real stuff here, unless you find a liquor store that caries it.

CD

nuzzmark, according to Serious Eats, it isn't worth the money to use the good, pricey vanilla when baking. Use imitation for whenever your vanilla will be cooked, and save the good stuff for when it isn't. The Serious Eats taste test is here: Is Better Vanilla Extract Worth the Price?

I know we've had the imitation/real vanilla discussion here at DC before, but danged if I can find the link. :wacko: Maybe someone with better search skillz will locate and post it. Meanwhile, we can use this opportunity for another lively discussion. :LOL:

For me, it isn't about the cost. It is just something I can make, and give to friends and family. It is very good, and it is a gift that involves effort, so people appreciate it.

If you just make it for yourself, it is still rewarding, just like growing your own herbs and vegetables.

CD

I'm glad I've been hoarding vanilla extract from our Mexico trips. I have at least 3 partial bottles of really good vanilla that was quite cheap when I bought it. Need to do more baking...

I've also made my own extract with (cheap when I bought them) split beans in vodka. Haven't tried them in bourbon, but it sounds like it would be a nice taste, maybe in fruitcake or a molasses dessert.

We bought some Mexican vanilla extract at a local craft fair, it's so much better. Do you notice a difference?
I wonder what the difference is.:ermm:

We bought some Mexican vanilla extract at a local craft fair, it's so much better. Do you notice a difference?

It is made the way I make mine. It is not "imitation" vanilla extract. Do a Google search on that -- the imitation stuff is not something you will care for once you know how it is made.

Real vanilla extract is very simple. It is vanilla beans soaked in alcohol, such as vodka.

CD

Not sure, SB. I buy it from reputable sources in Mexico (including the airport we fly into/out of (!)) and the ingredients are vanilla beans and alcohol. Mexico does grow its own vanilla orchids, but as GG said, some may be from Madagascar. It's good stuff.

As Humphrey Bogart said in another context "You have been misinformed"!

Geez....my daughter & her husband & kids just got back from Mexico. If I had thought of making my own vanilla before they left, I definitely would have had her get some. I was telling her about it & she said that she saw some & it was cheap!!!
When my parents would go to Italy, they'd buy vanilla powder. My mom gave some to me & let me tell you. It's really good. I looked it up on Amazon. Paneangeli Vanillina 1 Envelope/6servings. Go look and read the reviews. All 5 stars! When my mom would get it, she got it in vials & also in a jar. One packet is equivalent to 1 tsp. It is a little strong. I'm going to get the beans & vodka & do that.

Question: This is probably a dumb question, but if I get Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla Beans, is it ok to put them in vodka? when they say "bourbon" does it mean the color or the whisky? Now I can't wait to do this!

...Question: This is probably a dumb question, but if I get Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla Beans, is it ok to put them in vodka? when they say "bourbon" does it mean the color or the whisky? Now I can't wait to do this!...

The name Bourbon has nothing to do with liquor. It's a reference to the old French bourbon royal dynasty.

Question: This is probably a dumb question, but if I get ....

[/URL]

At a seminar once and the instructor came out with this statement...
"There is no such thing as a dumb question."

I personally add this...
"There could be, however, a dumb or stupid answer."
If you don't know - you don't know and the only way to find out is to ask the question!
This thread is great!!

Thanks so much for your answers. You are right, dragnlaw! The discussion about making vanilla has been great & very informative! I knew I could count on you guys!!

(((HUGS)))

Clara

Thanks so much for your responses. I'll be getting some vanilla beans. I wish I had thought of this earlier since I bake a lot of different cookies for Christmas. Another question. Is there a big difference using bourbon as opposed to vodka? I would imagine the flavor might be stronger with bourbon?

Yes. If yo make it with bourbon it will always taste like bourbon. Some people like that; others don't.

I have infused bourbon with vanilla for winter cocktails and its great.

Most people use vodka because its easy to find and more neutral in flavor. Commercial vanilla extract is made from grain alcohol, which is good to use if you can access it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom