Making Vanilla

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just dehydrate vanilla beans for a couple of hours at 150 degrees and then grind them into powder. A lot easier. :) You use half as much as you would extract.

The contamination issue seems to be for fake vanilla extract. Mexican vanilla beans should be fine.

The contamination issue seems to be for fake vanilla extract. Mexican vanilla beans should be fine.
Yup, just make sure you know what a vanilla bean looks like. I googled, and other than the colour, tonka beans do not look like vanilla beans.

I used to buy my vanilla beans from COSTCO, but they haven't had them in a few years. They were in the spice section.

CD

A friend of mine told me that she gets her vanilla extract in the Spanish section of the market. The bottle says " ingredients: water, alcohol, extratives of vanilla beans". I went to the market & looked & the same brand, "Badia", said "imitation flavoring". Hers might be slightly older? It's about $2.50 for a 2 oz. bottle. I have a 4 oz. bottle of Madagascar Bourbon Pure vanilla extract made from alcohol & extratives of vanilla beans that I bought from Lorann Oils for $13.99. I did make my vanilla using 15 vanilla beans & 28 oz. of vodka. It's in my basement & I shake it once a day. I got the beans on Ebay & paid $47 for them.

I did make my vanilla using 15 vanilla beans & 28 oz. of vodka. It's in my basement & I shake it once a day. I got the beans on Ebay & paid $47 for them.

Good for you. If nothing else, it is a fun project.

CD

I was measuring out some precious vanilla extract for some ice cream and noticed how low the level was in the vanilla bottle. I'm hoping the price drops soon as baking season is not the far away.

I hear you, Andy M. Baking Christmas cookies starts at the beginning of November for me. I probably make 12 different kinds of cookies & give them out. For the people who don't bake, they have no idea how much that tray of cookies is worth!! I love doing it, though. The only problem is that when I start, I can't stop! hahahaha My husband loves it. He's my "official" taste tester and can never tell how it tastes unless he has about 3 cookies :)

My SO does most of the holiday baking except for the pies and special desserts I like to make.

I was measuring out some precious vanilla extract for some ice cream and noticed how low the level was in the vanilla bottle. I'm hoping the price drops soon as baking season is not the far away.
I think it's unlikely that prices will go down. A month or so ago, Penzeys sent out an email telling customers that the price was about to go up a fair amount. Found this in a quick search: https://www.reuters.com/article/mad...rs-expect-prices-to-remain-high-idUSL5N1V04HL

It's probably more cost-effective over the long term to buy beans and make your own.

There is another choice. Bake with imitation vanilla. Once again, from Serious Eats: "After tallying up all the scores, there was one immediately obvious fact: with cooked items like cookies and a cooked ice cream base, tasters could not decide which type of vanilla was best. Either between the fancy stuff and the regular stuff, or even between imitation vanilla extract and real vanilla bean..."

Taste Test: Is Better Vanilla Extract Worth the Price?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom