My Christmas cakes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank you

I make them for close friends, my wife does most of the decoration she is a lot younger than me so her hand eye coordination is better.

Our wedding cake img045.jpg

img046.jpg

img047.jpg

img049.jpg I made this 11yrs ago.

I can't decorate cakes, just bake them. I can write a poem, but trying to be artistic with medium from crafts to food is beyond me. I am in awe of those of you who can do it.

It's beautiful. Is that Marzipan on the cake?
Thank you,Yes that was made with ground almonds, I also make it with ground pistachio or cashew nuts to insulate different cake, also to stuff things like dates ect.

A simple Walnut cakepadeswood 222.jpgno skill needed

Never thought to make marzipan with cashews or pistachios, Shrek, my husband, would love that!

Do you make the walnut cake with walnut flour?

Walnuts

Never thought to make marzipan with cashews or pistachios, Shrek, my husband, would love that!

Do you make the walnut cake with walnut flour?
I have never seen walnut flour, I just add some blitz walnuts to the sponge batter.The best place for marzipan is Barcelona at christmas, there are a number of shops that just sell all types of marzipan, it is a Catalan tradition.

I have never seen walnut flour, I just add some blitz walnuts to the sponge batter.The best place for marzipan is Barcelona at christmas, there are a number of shops that just sell all types of marzipan, it is a Catalan tradition.

I make my own walnut flour, same as you do but I sift out the papery coating that has not become fine. My walnut cake is very dense, very little cake flour, about 2 walnut to 1 cake flour. It's lightly sweet from Lyle's Golden Syrup.

Flour

I make my own walnut flour, same as you do but I sift out the papery coating that has not become fine. My walnut cake is very dense, very little cake flour, about 2 walnut to 1 cake flour. It's lightly sweet from Lyle's Golden Syrup.
I will try that ratio, I do use 2 of flour to 1 of ground almonds when I make Sacher Torte, my favorite crepe as a child was with Golden Syrup and lemon juice.
I make a lot of petit fours for chrimbo, here is one of my favs, buy a pack of small de-stoned ready to eat prunes, make your marzipan and add a little brandy, slit the prunes and stuff with the marzipan then dip in the best melted dark chocolate you can afford, set on a cake rack.

This is a good cheats apple tart, life is to short now to laminate puff pastry.

Roll shop bought Puff very thin, cut into a circle and prick all over, place on a baking tray, cut thin slices of shop bought marzipan and cover pastry, peel and slice a good desert apple using a mandolin if you have, cover the marzipan, bake in the hottest part of your oven,take out glaze with a bit of sieved apricot jam.

I will try that ratio, I do use 2 of flour to 1 of ground almonds when I make Sacher Torte, my favorite crepe as a child was with Golden Syrup and lemon juice.
I make a lot of petit fours for chrimbo, here is one of my favs, buy a pack of small de-stoned ready to eat prunes, make your marzipan and add a little brandy, slit the prunes and stuff with the marzipan then dip in the best melted dark chocolate you can afford, set on a cake rack.

This is a good cheats apple tart, life is to short now to laminate puff pastry.

Roll shop bought Puff very thin, cut into a circle and prick all over, place on a baking tray, cut thin slices of shop bought marzipan and cover pastry, peel and slice a good desert apple using a mandolin if you have, cover the marzipan, bake in the hottest part of your oven,take out glaze with a bit of sieved apricot jam.

The apple tart sounds divine...copying the tip! Thanks.

I found the walnut cake idea on my searches for lower carbohydrate desserts that tasted good and did not use artificial sweeteners.

Back
Top Bottom