My filling is too sugary (grainy), why?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MissyJohnston

Assistant Cook
Can anyone tell me why when I make this filling it turns grainy. The recipe calls for crisco, sugar, butter, 1 egg white, vanilla and a little hot milk. directions are to beat well. I do this but it never turns out smooth, always grainy. What am I doing wrong?:ermm:

Is it grainy AFTER you cook it? It's going to be grainy right after you make it as there is nothing to melt the sugar.

What is this "filling" for? What is the direction for its preparation? Is it just mixing all the ingredients together and that's all? As Kitchenelf suggested, this way sugar will not be dissolved sufficiently. One thing I can suggest is to use powdered sugar for a smoother texture.

I would guess it is some sort of icing. I'd think the butter and crisco needs to be creamed very will with the sugar and then everything else incorporated. The sugar has to "go" somewhere.

This reminds me of a the filling for Twinkies!

Try using 10X instead of granualted sugar.

Or, you could dissolve the sugar you are using in the hot milk...

I'd go with the 10X, personally.

The recipe does not say to cook it.
I think I will try using powdered sugar.
Thanks for all the help.

Try creaming the butter and sugar as I mentioned. I don't think anyone questioned whether it should be "cooked" so that is not a problem. Can you post the recipe--it could really help.

Back
Top Bottom