Need a frosting recipe using 70% Bittersweet Chocolate & Coconut Milk please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi there!

I ran out of treats today and decided to figure out what I could make tonight using what I have before I go to the store tomorrow. Amazingly, I can apparently make chocolate cupcakes (gluten-free), but I'm trying to find the right frosting recipe.

I don't want to use up my baking cocoa on the frosting, since I actually have a whole bar of Scharffen Berger 70% Bittersweet Dark Chocolate on hand. :yum: And since we don't normally drink milk, I only have rice milk and coconut milk on hand. Since it's chocolate and needs fat, I'll have to use coconut milk.

Could anyone invent or point me to a recipe using the 70% chocolate bar, coconut milk and sugar, etc. to frost 12 cupcakes?

THANK YOU if you can help!!!

Peace,
Carrie Anne

I would try making a ganache.

Heat 1 part coconut milk and pour it over 1part chopped chocolate, stir until the chocolate melts and add a flavoring like vanilla or rum. You could use it as a glaze or put it over a bowl of ice water and beat it until it thickens. Maybe a little less than equal parts of coconut milk would be best if it is not thick like cream. If it does not work you will have a killer ice cream topping!

14 ounces of bittersweet chocolate
1 + 1/2 cups heavy cream

Micro chocolate till melted, stir in heavy cream...add powdered sugar to taste. Should work with the coconut milk. Or you could warm the milk, dissolve the sugar into that and the melt the chocolate in.

Aunt Bea and the Princess both gave you the same thing - ganache.

Just keep in mind that the best pouring temperature for ganache is about 80-85 degrees F. So make sure you cool it down before you pour it over the cake.

If it's too warm, it will be too thin. It will soak into the cake and/or run right off. It needs to be almost to room temp in order to get a nice icing consistency.

When in doubt, go to the site of the chocolate maker. They have recipes from their test kitchen.

Thanks everyone! Sorry for the delayed response, but my 4 yr old developed Strep Throat right after this so I haven't had much free time.

The good news is that I made the cupcakes the evening I posted, and they were AMAZING. Light, fluffy, moist, rich - NUM! :yum: Also, since I waited til the next day to make the frosting, I had time to go to the store and get some delicious, way-too-expensive-but-worth-it organic cream from Cedar Summit Farm. ($5.39 for 16 oz, in a reuseable glass jar)

So, I ended up making ganache, and added a few drops of Organic Orange extract. OMG - heavenly! I was able to ice 10 cupcakes AND make 12 nummy powder-sugar-covered orange-chocolate truffles! Delicious!

I'm still curious now to try it with coconut milk for the future, but not quite yet. Next time I do this, I'll update you guys with the results. Thanks!!!

(Oh, and if you're curious, I used this recipe at Scharffen Berger, but I made it gluten-free. I'm so thrilled it worked so well! http://www.scharffenberger.com/chocolate/recipes/cakes/scharffen-berger-chocolate-cupcakes/

I just subbed flour for an equal amount of Betty Hageman's G-F Mix, added 1/2 tsp of xanthum gum, and used extra-large eggs instead of large eggs for extra protein. Scrumptious!)

Back
Top Bottom